Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
milk as a Ca?

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 0:24

Hello. I was researching milk/water as a source of Ca. Floiage and roots. I was just interested to here if anyone has done this. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: milk as a Ca?

Not useful nor helpful.

o

What about whey? If you have a dairy (cow or goat) nearby that makes cheese, they probably have lots of whey.

o

"Not useful nor helpful."

O thanks. This is so helpful. Full of info. wow.

o

If you had done the research, you would have found a) most soils contain adequate levels of calcium; b) even calcium deficient soils have little impact on crop production......it is a micronutrient and required in very small amounts; and c) milk is a pretty inefficient way of delivering calcium. There are other, much better sources including ground limestone, spinach, turnip and other greens, fish meal, bone meal, and kelp meal or emulsion.

o

If you had done the research, you would have found a) most soils contain adequate levels of calcium; b)

This specific garden is soiless and is using MG tomatoe feed lacking Ca. I know the sources of Ca and yes lime was used but that ca and mg is used up and for experamtle purposes I want to know about the milk. Gypsum would be the best bet or a Ca Mg liquid but this garden is not mine ;)

o

Actually, Ca tends to be low east of the limestone line. An exception is florida sand. It is easily brought up with powdered limestone, at least for some time. It leaches in light soils.

o

If you want to experiment, go for it. However, milk is not a good source of plant available calcium.
Depending on how much lime you used, that in itself may very well provide sufficient calcium for plant nutrition through the growing season.

o

This specific garden is soiless

So this is a container gardening situation? If so, there are numerous different supplements that includea range of trace elements that would supply any necessary Ca. Milk just doesn't deliver enough to be a significant source.

o

thanks alot for the info. I figured it was a bad idea. Anytime somone new to gardening suggests somthing I will make sure not to consider it again. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here