Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is sluggo really safe for my dogs?

Posted by mustard_greens CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 05 at 2:44

I know that the label says it's pet safe, but my dogs like to lick it off the soil whenever they find it. I have a bad slug problem and this is the one thing that seems to work well. Has anyone ever heard of a pets getting sick from sluggo or other iron phosphate products? Does anyone else have dogs that like to eat it?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is sluggo really safe for my dogs?

According to the Material Safety Data Sheet, one of the better ones I've seen, the Lethal Dose for 50 percent of the population would be aroun 5,000 mg per kg of body weight, lots. Your pets would need to ingest a lot of this to begin to show signs of toxicity and if they did diluting it with lots of water would help.

o

I have read (here, I think) that caffienated coffee sprayed on plants will kill slugs, or at the least, repel them, if you don't want to put down the Slug-go. I agree with Kimmsr that it would seem to need a LOT of the Slug-go to do any harm, and the coffee would have to be re-applied after each rain, so you would have to trade off what you want to do....., work pretty hard spraying, depending on the number of plants or put down the pellets only once or twice as they get used up.

o

Isn't caffine more toxic than iron phosphate? (she says as
she types while drinking her morning coffee)

I think iron phosphate is used as a human food additive. I would have no pet safety concerns on this one.

o

• Posted by JAYK 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 05 at 13:24

Yes, caffeine is much more toxic to dogs than iron phosphate. There are no dog safety issues with use of Sluggo bait.

o

And while we're on the subject, let me just add that these iron phosphate slug/snail killers are JUST UNFREAKING BELIEVABLY FANTASTIC. Last year I finally used some after years of messing around with all of the other puttering organic slug/snail deterrents. I am completely sold. Sign me up for the testimonial ads. This stuff just can't be beat for safety, effectiveness and ease of use.

o

There is absolutly no reason to add iron phosphate into the water table and into your soil

use diatomacious earth. it works just as well.

yes - sluggo is inferior to diatomacious earth.

o

Perhaps it works for you, but DE is not effective in wet climates such as the Pacific Northwest. Trials here show good efficacy with iron phosphate. Use of Sluggo does not present a groundwater risk. It is naturally present in soils.

o

Around here, I know several gardeners who have observed birds eating the sluggo, so they have had to protect the sluggo from birds by putting the sluggo (and plant) under a cloche, or putting some other bird barrier in place so that the sluggo can be eaten by its preferred target.

o

With all due respect, and based on years of organic gardening experience, DE does not even begin to work as well as the iron phosphate slug baits. DE has its uses (I find it particularly helpful as a dust to slow down flea beetles), although there is always the problem of needing to reapply it frequently as ANY moisture renders it ineffective, but deterring slugs and snails just isn't one of them in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here