Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got worms!

Posted by mandolls 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 6:35

I turned over the soil in two more of my raised beds yesterday. One of them was so full of worms I couldn't believe it!. I'd guess at least one in each handful of dirt. These are 8-12" deep beds I started last year using mostly composted manure and a little peat that I turned into my sandy soil. All of the others had worms, but this one was teeming with them. Is there such a thing as to many worms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got worms!

The earthworm population is pretty self regulating. Only as many as the available food source will support will stay around.

o

How neat! Know the feeling! After a few years of adding OM to my soil, it was as you describe ... teeming ... the the plants seem to like them. I call them my hired hands ... they dig, stir, mix and fertilize and I sip my tea in the shade......like a plutocrat.... lol

o

Congratulations! It feels good to see them!

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 22:52

Congratulation!!
As most of the persons on this forum already know, I have tons of coffee waste. No worms in the deep pile,just mushrooms & fire ants.
In the raised beds I get 25-50 green fruit beetle grubs per shovel full of soil. Some one said that earthworms was proof of good soil/organic matter. I wonder if grubs count, being they are a life force, that eat organic matter.

o

Grubs are not the same as earthworms, jolj.

o

Sun, May 15, 11 at 22:22

Who said this & why .
They eat organic matter & they loosening the soil.
So what make a foreign species(earthworms), better then a native species(green fruit bettle grubs).
I think you are slitting worms, myself.:-)

o

Mon, May 23, 11 at 22:07

Got earthworms around my fig tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here