Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves falling off Pepper Plants??

Posted by musickep 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 8:42

Ok, 4th year gardening, haven't experienced this before. A few days ago I planted some pepper plants I bought (red/orange pepper plants). I bought them from a local nursery and they looked very healthy. Yesterday, on one of the plants, all the the leaves had fallen off. I checked them this morning and same thing with another one. There are no bugs or anything, and they are perfectly green. I touched one leaf and it fell off. What is causing this? Help! Also, anyone heard of planting matches with your pepper plants for the sulfer? The nursery suggested that. Please advise on that too. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves falling off Pepper Plants??

any chance of pictures?

o

No pics, no bugs, Just normal pepper plants, healthy looking, green leaves, happened the day after I planted them........the leaves fell right off. Only the stem is left. It happened to another one today. Very strange.

o

musickep can you call the nursery and ask them if these were sufficiently hardened off.

Another possibility might be the temperatures. Peppers do not like temps below 50.

Next possibility would be over watering.

And the last thing I can think of is over fertilizing.

Rudy

o

I'm thinking transplant shock, especially if your temps have dropped in this recent cold snap. Peppers are unfortunately prone to it and are sometime slow to take off afterward. If they don''t take off in a few weeks, you'll probably have to replant. Remember to transplant a moist - but not saturated - seedling in a slightly moist, but crumbly soil, then lightly water in with 70-80 degree water.

o

Musickep, you do realize that Jean was asking if you could post some pics, not suggesting pictures were the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here