Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy vegetable

Posted by organic_lander 8b/9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 9:19

I looked over forum selection and did not see a forum that might work for this question. I garden organic so I thought might as well post my question here.

We had a very bad spring down here in zone 8b. I was planting, then having to plant some more because of weather conditions. If a plant looked bad I would just plant another transplant or direct sow some seed right next to the unhealthy seedlings. Later on I would make the decision of which plants I would keep. Well nature did the work for me so I went on and just did not give it another thought until yesterday. I have two heirloom crookneck squash plants that I thought was only one plant, the stems of the squash are only about two inches apart. Well let me tell you what those two plants have gone crazy. They just started forming girls over the past few days (all of the other squash plants are all ready setting fruit) and one of them has nine girls and the other four. Whats going on here? Did I create some kind of SUPER SQUASH PLANT?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy vegetable

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 27, 11 at 21:07

That sounds like the kind of crookneck squash my father grew, when I was young. You had to walk around the huge plants to make sure you had found all the squash. He did not like any squash over 3 days old, must be young & tender.
I do not know the name of them, only that we planted a whole row every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here