Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milk carton weed barrier?

Posted by flowersnow (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 9:22

I was thinking of flattening out milk cartons and use them as weed barrier. I usually use cardboard, but I have a source of milk cartons. Anyone try this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milk carton weed barrier?

If what you mean are those cardboard milk cartons treated to be moisture proof not only would that be a lot of work but the treatment of the cartons could keep them from getting digested. If you mean the plastic milk containers they would not be a good addition to your soil in any way, although they can make good cloches. I would stick with materials that will eventually get digested, cardboard (untreated) and/or newspaper, builders paper, materials that wehn they do break down will add something worthwhile to the soil and not potentially contaminate your soil.

o

Many cartons are made of a sandwich of materials. They look like cardboard but have a layer of foil or plastic in between. If you can tear the carton easily it is just cardboard. If it resists it probably has a layer of something in it. Also to stop weeds you would need to overlap the cartons as perennial weeds will very quicky find the light and come up between small sheets of material. Sounds like a huge amount of effort for not much effect.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 23, 11 at 22:09

They may not rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here