Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating the mint?

Posted by
organic-kiki Zone 6
(gw:organic-kiki) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 10:41

I have a mint that has been growing without care (sometimes being mowed down) for about 20 years. I am not sure but think it is either a peppermint or catnip....I will try this summer to determine what it is. Every summer I notice that even tho it grows well part of the leaves seem to shrivel and get little spots that look black but really are kind of see thru. Today I found a bug (never looked before) that is about 1/4 inch, orange body and head, black stripes on back and what look like tiny black wings with a yellow stripe on them. My concern with this now is that I have put in a flower bed that I am sure the mint will invade as the bed is touching the mint. I didn't think of this before, but if there is something attacking the mint I don't want it to attack other plants. I thought most insects left mint alone.
Kiki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating the mint?

I think it's just a bug (possibly a lightning beetle?) and that it has nothing to do with the spots you get on the mint leaves which are probably fungal or bacterial speck of somekind and which, in any event, are completely unlikely to slow down the doggone mint. My mint gets a little tatty looking much like that as the summer wears on. I suspect the heat and relative drought stress the plant and make it more susceptible to the foliage disease. Whatever. Again, it isn't doing the mint any real harm in the long or short run. Were I you, I wouldn't worry about the bug (which would probably be perfectly capable of making its way to the flower bed even without the proximity to the mint). Instead, I would worry about installing some kind of root barrier to keep the mint from invading the flower bed -- or at least slow it down.

o

• Posted by
    organic-kiki Zone 6
    Tue, May 23, 06 at 11:34

Maybe this guy is not the culprit, but only looks guilty.
Kiki

o

I'm guessing it's spittle bugs - little orangish red bugs that leave dark brownish/black spots on the leaves. Hateful little critters that turn beautiful mint into a spotty mess. They never seem to bother much else - just mints and balms.

o

• Posted by
    organic-kiki Zone 6
    Wed, May 24, 06 at 23:39

Thanks, I'll check it out,
Kiki

o

I wish something would eat my mint.

o

Sometimes plants that spread a lot get very crowded in the roots over time and it causes them to stress out because they're not getting enough nutrients, water, etc as they need it, so they get spots and turn black etc. I had some "Snow on the Mountain" that got very black and ratty looking every August because it's in a dry spot and very crowded. I tninned it out.. actually, I pulled all of it out, but it's still there.. just a lot healthier looking now. I bet if you dug up the mint and pulled nearly all the roots out, it might be a lot healthier looking. As to keeping it out of your flower bed... good luck!

o

If anyone's reading this four years later (because you have a similar problem) I suggest you Google "FOURLINED PLANT BUG".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here