Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kinds of lime are organic?

Posted by chilehead1 (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 10:56

I'd like to add calcium to my garden soil, which is done all organic as far as I know.

What kinds of lime can be added and still be considered organic?

I've seen some bags at a local store. One is pelletized the other is powdered and contains hydrated lime.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kinds of lime are organic?

First of all, have you had a soil test to determine what the pH of your soil is? Lime should never be added without doing so.

Second of all, I assume that you are using the term 'organic' to mean 'natural', 'pesticide free', etc. 'Organic' has more than one meaning and some folks interpret it differently.

If you are concerned with the need for calcium, but not an elevation of your pH, you might want to consider gypsum. It is a natural mined mineral (CaSO4), as is limestone (CaCO3). Gypsum provides calcium but because of the sulfur content of the product, the pH is not affected. IF you do need to lime your soil, you might want to consider dolomitic lime (CaMg(CO3)2) which also provides magnesium. Dolomite and plain lime come in pelletized forms, which is far easier to handle and apply. Again, these are mined minerals...perfectly acceptable in 'organic' gardening.

Hydrated lime (CaOH2) is not commonly used in gardening, and undergoes a process or two to convert the ground limestone to the hydrated form. It is very messy, fast acting, and should only be applied in fairly small amounts.

o

That lime at HD company name starts with a g?

o

For an organic garden you want ground limestone and that can be either calcitic limestone or dolomitic limestone depending on what a good, reliable soil test shows is needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here