Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeyman_2006

Diatomacious Earth and Dolo. Limestone - Same thing? Different?

monkeyman_2006
17 years ago

I'm almost sure they are different....almost sure that diatomes fall to the ocean floor to make limestone...but not sure enough..same thing, or different thing? same uses, or different uses? if different, what is the use of diatomacious earth, besides a slug/pest repellent?

thank you

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Completely different. Diatomaceous earth, if processed for horticultural or food grade use, is used to eliminate parasites when fed to animals, as a dust for the same reason, and as a general purpose pesticide. A different processing method produces pool filter DE, which must not be used in the garden or home.

DE is mostly silicon dioxide, not calcium. And dolomitic limestone is not derived from the skeletons of little animals but is a sedimentary rock.

Clear as mud?

Here is a link that might be useful: dolomite information

• monkeyman_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

k for some reason i thought diatomes eventually turn into limestone but thanks for clarifying

• monkeyman_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh yeah, one more thing -
    d. earth does not change pH in any way, does it?

• it_better_be_organic
    17 years ago

this is interesting, regarding health issues (breathing in d.e.)

"Step One:

Make sure the DE you use is AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE). In an article on DE in COMMON SENSE PEST CONTROL QUARTERLY, published by BIRC, Volume III, Number 1, Winter 1987, the matter of safety is explored. We quote:

"Both swimming pool grade and natural diatomaceous earth come from the same fossil sources but they are processed differently. The natural grades are mined, dried, ground, sled and bagged. The pool grade is chemically treated and partially melted and consequently contains crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard. Thus, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ONLY NATURAL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH BE USED FOR INSECT CONTROL. This noncrystalline silica is not a hazard as the human body apparently can dissolve it. "

"Silicosis refers to lung contamination and irritation by crystalline of free silica (Si02). Crystalline describes the orientation of the Si02 molecules which occur in a fixed pattern in contrast to the non periodic, random molecular arrangement defined as amorphous. Exposure to free silica is an occupational hazard to workers. "

Step Two:

Make sure the DE you use meets World Health Organization (WHO) safety standards. WHO cautions that DE with a crystalline silica content over three percent (3%) is dangerous for ingestion by humans or animals. Safe Solutions, Inc. DE has less than 1% free silica. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica. "
    http://www.safe2use.com/safe-products/diatomaceous/diatomaceous_Earth.htm

• mjmccluskey_aol_com
    15 years ago

Hi there , Dia is for pets,insects also you can use this humans to get rid of parsites honestly you should eat it couple times or once a month it will clear anything along the lines of that it won't hurt you,I take 2-3 times a month after you do your body will feel better and cleaner . If any of your are wondering it taste like flour and no i'm not crazy my mom is a natural doctor.Also you can use dia earth to keep snakes away just sprinly around your land/yard you should mix with little cinnamon it helps very much so don't know why but it does. Hope this answer what other uses of dia earth. thanks any further question contact me at my email. You can try go green eco friendly and supplements i've found this site to be helpful with eco information

Here is a link that might be useful: Go Green Eco

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

rhizo, around 3 years ago adequately explained the difference between Diamotaceous Earth and limestone. Many of your foods, especially grains and flower, will have DE mixed in to aid in keeping the grain moth larva from hatching. You, as a consumer, are and have been eating DE for many years.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I just wonder how many pool owners use a mask when they are reloading the DE in the filter.
    Come to think of it, I don't think there is any warning label on the box I have for the pool. I will have to look.
    I don't have a DE filter, not pratical for the large pool I have but I make a slurry of a cup or so and add it for better cleaning of the sand filter.

As far is I know it, does not alter the PH

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

busy, DE should not be INHALED into the lungs. That includes pool grade (especially and in particular) AND the others. Silicosis, a type of cancer, can result from frequent exposure.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

I think you guys are all approaching this from the perspective that the DE is always a fine powder. Also available is {{gwi:141344}}. DE powder is heated in a kiln at extremely high temps. The result is a pH neutral, vitrified, stable product similar in structure to calcined clays like Turface et al. It's size makes it a good amendment for improving drainage and aeration in most soils. It has very good internal porosity - thus it holds water well, and it has a very good CEC.

Al

• ShuLei Tong Flippen
    8 years ago

1 TBSP of food grade DE makes me happy and very regular. After a month, I've had absolutely no ill affects, only good!