Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe for animal repellant?

Posted by joyce58 Zone 5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 14:30

Does anyone have a "sure-fire" recipe for a homemade spray to repel wood chucks and /or rabbitts? I have been buying the red-hot pepper wax spray and it is getting costly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe for animal repellant?

What the state Division of Wildlife here recommends is 1 or 2 eggs and a teaspoon of cheap chicken bouillon in a gallon, sprayed all over and all around the plants that need protecting. Food processor it up, and run it through a strainer, or it will clog the sprayer. Needs to be re-applied after rain.

It does work pretty well on deer, rabbits, chipmunks, and squirrels after greens.

Not so good for raccoons or skunks.

o

This has worked well for me. All of my neighbors have problems with rabbits and gophers, I have seen zero in my yard.

o

Yes! this works. It is from Jerry Baker

1/2 cup Murphy's Oil Soap
1/2 cup lemon scented dishwashing liquid
1/2 cup castor oil
1/2 cup lemon scented ammonia
1/2 cup extra hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup of urine

(I actually reduced the castor oil part, as it is pretty expensive. I only used maybe 1/4 cup at most. I didn't use good hot sauce either, just some cheap stuff I found at a Chinese store. Also cheap dish soap from dollar store or whatever.)

Mix these ingredients together in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer, then apply to the point of run-off to any flowers or shrubs that need protecting.
I actually use a watering can.
I don't know the proportion-- Just guess, and it works fine. Reapply after rain, of course.

Good luck!

o

Which ingredients have the repellent property? What compound/s are present in these ingredients that give them the repellent property?

Here is a link that might be useful: animal repellant

o

Now, why did I know that Gail Jones was going to be a spammer?

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 21:10

Thanks Gail, I will have to try that.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 22:27

You put up a fence 5 foot high & on the out side of the fence a way from the garden, put up a 5 foot lean two with post at a 45 degree angle. Nail wire to it & deer can not jump it.
They can jump high or wide, but not both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here