Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rolls of burlap or coconut fiber for weed barrier?

Posted by Iowariver 4b (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 14:34

I am thinking about using rolls of burlap or coconut fiber as advertised on Ebay as weed barriers for a new garden, laying them directly over bluegrass sod and putting in bedding plants. I don't want to cover the fabric with mulch and would be hap-y if it worked for a season. Can't use tiller this year due to bad back. The bluegrass sod is quite weed free and the soil is good and friable. I thought I'd mow it very low and then put on the fabric. Don't want to use cardboard. Need something that lets water and air through. Any thoughts or alternatives appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rolls of burlap or coconut fiber for weed barrier?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 12 at 21:26

Photobucket
Look close you will see common spearmint growing thought the burlap that I mulched a blue berry plant with. The burlap is doubled because it is a sack & I left it & just layed it in the bed.The burlap is 36 months old, It will work on most, if not all annuals, but not on all perennials.I get the bags free from a coffee plant, so I use them a lot. The bags can be stacked 3 high if you over lap them by 3 inches & cover them with straw or leaves, to filter the sun light.

o

Both burlap and the coconut fiber are too loosely woven to be effective "weed" barriers. They will allow enough light to reach any seeds that germinate under them so those will grow. That material is used on newly seeded turf areas to help hold the seed in place and the turf grass grows right through it.
To effectively kill the grass growing there you need a barrier that will exclude all light, something like newspaper or cardboard, which then would need something to hold it in place.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 19:31

A layer of 3 bags will stop all annuals(seeds & roots).
The bags in the pic are old & rotten, so the mint had no problem pushing though. I can stop perennial grasses for a year, some will die, others will go though or around.
Some can live under 1 inch of cardboard after Everything is dead around them.
But the company I work at sprays round up on these grasses & they die back, then come back from the root. So wood,cardboard,burlap & 6 inches of compost & mulch do not stand a chance.
But the burlap is free & easy to put down will stop 80% by it's self & as I stated above with mulch you will be happy with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here