Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composted Chicken Manure as Fertilizer?

Posted by darknova (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 15:34

I'm working on a project to revitalize my vegetable garden, and the first step has involved putting down compost (our soil is 80-90% sand and we have virtually no organic material in it). My second step is to put down some sort of organic fertilizer.

At the feed store I purchased 40 pounds of a composted organic dried chicken manure, "Chickity Doo Doo", which is listed as 5-3-2.5. It seemed reasonably priced at $13 for the 40 pounds. I'm wondering if this composted chicken manure will work well for providing nutrients to the soil web? Or would something like alfalfa meal or soybean meal work better? How long does it take for composted manure to be broken down by microbes? Thanks for the advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composted Chicken Manure as Fertilizer?

My parents still talk about the year they put a truckload of turkey manure on their big garden. They had such a huge harvest it was unbelievable!
I just got 25 chicks. You better believe the manure will be going to go in the garden!

o
RE: Composted Chicken Manure as Fertilizer?

The nutrients in poultry manure are fairly water soluble and can be washed out of your soil with the excess water easily unless there is adequate levels of orgnaic matter in the soil to help hold them there. Work to get the amount of organic matter in your soil to the 5 to 8 percent level, which may well be all that is necessary to make a good, healthy soil with a balanced level of nutrients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here