Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost Tea & Fungi

Posted by peter_6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 16:58

Does brewing aerated compost tea increase the populations of fungi, or reduce them, or have no effect? I recognize that aerated brewing increases the populations of bacteria substantially, but they reproduce much faster than fungi, so I wonder. Does anyone have a good biolgical basis for beliving that compost tea hs any effect on soil fungal populations? Regards, Peter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost Tea & Fungi

This article, written by Dr, Elaine Ingham the major proponent of Compost Tea Should answer all you questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost Tea

o

kimmsr: thank you very much for the link. But I couldn't see where Dr. Ingham answers the question I asked about fungi in compost tea. Perhaps you could refer me to the appropriate paragraph in the article. Regards, Peter.

o

• Posted by rdak z5MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 08 at 11:15

Here's a pretty in-depth post on compost tea:

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_us/approach_pgs/c_01_understand_why.html

Good luck!!

o

rdak: thank you for the link. Dr. Ingham makes a good point about ensuring that the compost you put into your tea-maker should have high fungal content if you want the pathogen-supressive effect. But I didn't catch that she said, here or in her articles in Acres USA, that aerated brewing would or would not increase the fungal content of the tea, as it does the bacterial content. My suspicion is that if you brew for 2 or 3 days, as I do, there isn't enough time for fungi to proliferate. Does anyone know anything on this (admitedly limited) issue. Regards, Peter.

o

Mon, May 19, 08 at 1:39

Peter, alot of people mix some baby oatmeal with their compost first, wet it down and in a couple to a few days they start having fungal growth.

They then brew that "enhanced" compost to multiply the fungi.

Here's a little article giving some fungal food sources:

http://www.ecostudies.org/compost_tea.pdf

You can also go to Yahoo's Compost Tea Group where there is ALOT of info. on compost tea.

I use brewer's malt (crushed to a powder) to help the fungi grow and, if you have some old wood chips with the white fungi growing on it you can add that to the water to grow some good fungi.

Anyway, there is alot of reading at the Yahoo group I mentioned above that should help you. I've never used the baby oatmeal method but alot of people swear by it.

You are wrong IMHO when it comes to brewing some fungi. I think 2-3 days is fine. Maybe overkill? Remember, you just want to innoculate the soil and leaves with some fungi. Fungi will grow further after that IMHO.

Everytime you put a wood mulch around a tree, for example, there will be good fungi growing in that area in the not too distant future. Just give it time IMHO.

I realize fungi is more difficult to grow in a brew but all you want to do is innoculate the soil and plants with a little good fungi and it will grow further from that point on IMHO.

o
RE: Compost Tea & Fungi*

Mon, May 19, 08 at 1:56

Peter: I made a typo error.

I use brewer's malt (i.e., barley malt) as a food source for bacteria and the wood chips with white fungi growing on it for a fungal source.

Sorry for the typo!!

o

rdak: thanks. I also use the oatmeal trick (oatmeal bran in my case) to increase pre-brew fungi, and cat food too. I just wondered whether brewing makes them proliferate. Regards, Peter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here