Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green bean pests

Posted by granny_c Idaho (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 17:33

Can anyone tell me what is decimating my green bean plants? It seems to happen at night - something turns the leaves into lace and then the leaves die and all I have left is the stem which just sits there. This only seems to happen when the plants are newly sprouted. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green bean pests

I'd go out with a flashlight after dark and see what's going on out there. One night I went out to see what was happening and saw both slugs and earwigs having a party on my young tender plants. Might be earwigs....I'd sprinkle with diatomaceous earth and some Sluggo.

o

The part that confuses me is what you mean by 'turns the leaves into lace'. Do you mean the 'meaty' part of the leaf is gone and the 'veins' are left?

If so it is unlikely to be slugs or earwigs as they just eat the leaf. If it is occuring only at night it is unlikely to be japanese beetles which do leave the veins alone and focus on the meaty portion.

Any other details you can provide to help with ID?

o

The Mexican Bean Beetle does that and since it looks quite similar to the Lady Beetle, because it is related, man ynew gardeners do not know what they are seeing. A yellow colored Lady Beetle like insect on the plants will be that Mexican Bean Beetle.

o

Going out with a flashlight is a good idea. I haven't done it because it's so late by the time it gets dark here and I'm an early to bed person, but this calls for desperate measures. lol And yes, username 5, only the veins are left. It's actually kind of pretty. I'll also check for Mexican Bean Beetle. Thank you for all the ideas!

o

OK. I went out last night and looked around and found absolutely nothing. Most of the bean plants are gone so maybe that's why. I'm going to start a new batch and try the diatomaceous earth on the leaves.

o

do you sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the leaves or on the soil around the base of the plants? would it coat the leaves, or just slide off?

granny, i had the same thing a couple of years ago and it was a beetle -- i think a japanese beetle -- that did it. if you do a google search ( japanese beetle) you'll find interesting info. one thing i just read is that the presence of beetles on a plant encourages more to come. the chewed up leaf itself also seems to. if you can hand pick them (knock them into a bucket of soapy water in the morning when they're sluggish) and decrease their numbers, fewer will be attracted in the long run.

o

(granny: have a great recipe for earwigs - they were the thieves in the night. Let me know if you want it.)

HELP!!!!!!!: beautiful pole bean plants - Musica (Renee's Garden) and some regular Kent. Blue Lake. Lots of water - very hot here - the small beans begin to turn into commas, and then get puffy, setting the beans. What happened??? They started out fine, Musica flat bean and delicious, and now even the Kent beans are doing the same thing. What's wrong??????? Been using beautiful worm compost (very proud) - too rich for the soil??

o

I plan to go out in the morning and flip the guys into the soap and water. I also found a recipe for a trap. 1 cup water, 1/4 sugar, 1 mashed banana and 1 pkg. of yeast.put this mixture into a jug with a narrow opening. I'm going to place one at each row and see what happens. Will let you know if it works.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 2:56

What insects is the trap for? Japanese beetles? Bean beetles? Earwigs?

You don't say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here