Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rice hull mulch

Posted by tracydr 9b (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 17:38

I have a reasonably cheap supply of rice hulls. I will also be moving my horses to a new location where I will have unlimited supply of soiled rice hulls as I will be bedding their stalls with the stuff. Of course, I'll let the used stuff get well aged before using it.
Has anyone used this for mulch before? I'd like to use it on the areas near our house where looks are important and I'm growing veggies/herbs. A little concerned that the antibacterial treatment might effect soil web?:

Ross worked with a chemist to formulate a specialized coating to treat rice hulls creating a new bedding product. He has specially treated the rice hulls with anti-bacterial drying agents and coagulants to create soft bedding that absorbs and eliminates odor without requiring huge amounts of bedding to be stripped from the stall. Many users have reduced their waste removal costs dramatically.

What do you think? Safe, unsafe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rice hull mulch

That depends on the source of the rice. Rice growing is among one of the most heavily dosed with pesticides crops grown in the world, even though there is ample evidence that they grow better, with higher yields, organically. If you can find a good supply of organically grown rice you may well have a good mulch material.

o

I wouldn't use anything treated with an anti-bac in the garden. And I doubt in that state there are that many organic rice farmers so there might be a slight risk of residual goop, but the anti-bac is the thing that would keep me from using them.

Dan

o

Based on your question I did a long search trying to figure out (1)what antibacterial/drying agents are added to the rice hulls and (2)how do the manufacturers of this product suggest disposal when it is removed as animal bedding? I could not find an answer to either question. I am not comfortable with the thought of using treated rice hulls on edible gardens. Will check to see if this bedding product is being used in this area by our throughbred and polo horse farms.

o

I used a mix of potting soil and rice hulls for a blueberry potting mix. The ricehulls came in large heavy plastic bales and were parboiled. I assumed that the parboiling was to eliminate anything living in the hulls and give them a washing? They worked well to drain the potted soil. How is this for bedding? Does it absorb the urine?

Luke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here