Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west9491

alaska fish emulsion not organic!?

west9491
11 years ago

wow, i was diggin through stuff to fertilize my veg. garden and saw a side note on the Alaska brand fish emulsion that said not for use in organic crop production. Then I took a closer look that the contents and it has ammonical nitrogen and like .75% nitrogen slowly available from fish.

It SOUNDS as if it's only partly organic, partly synthetic.

Comments (14)

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

It is, at least currently, on the Organic Materials Review Institutes approved list.

• quillfred
    11 years ago

My jug lacks the OMRI stamp of approval and states (in fine print of course): not for use on food crops. Grrrr.

• west9491
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that is what caught my eye...here i thought i was going completely organic. oh well, even a little organic is better than none...haha. besides, worms don't seem to mind!

• nico_girl3
    11 years ago

I bought some for my veggie garden and I just noticed that it said that about not for use on food crops. Is that notice for only if you are trying to use only "certified organic" products or is it not safe at all for use on food crops? I have a 3 year old son who helps me in my garden so I need stuff that is safe for him to be around. I also got som seaweed fertilizer, is this stuff safe or ok to use on food crops?

Thank you for any info!

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

For a product to display the OMRI certification the company must pay for that privilege, some choose not to and even though listed they cannot, legally display the seal. This does not mean they are not approved, just that they do not want to pay to display.
    As consumers we do have a choice about this if we do not purchase products without that OMRI seal, and let those companies know we will not purchase their products without that seal.

• mackel_in_dfw
    11 years ago

Scott's owns Alaska Fish Emulsion, they have billions to get it approved. Fish emulsion is old school organics, and contains unacceptable levels of heavy metals that will disqualify one's soil from organic certification, and render one's veggies toxic with time.

Kimmsr, with twenty-five years on the lecture circuit, you should know your sh@t by now, son. Now your saying a little bit of mercury shouldn't hurt your kiddies...who needs organic certification when you got kimmsr.

You have a moral obligation, period, to zip your lip when you don't know the answer, especially when your advice will do harm to the health or pocket book of others.

I've warned you kimmsr in the past, don't make me have to get beligerent, and bust out a can of Kimmsr Kryptonite. I know you hate that.

Mackel

• Henry Waxman
    8 years ago

Mackel,,, do you know if this product has received approval for 'organic veggy gardening'? And did the formula change to remove the metals which were previously spoken about in this thread?

thank you.

• Henry Waxman
    8 years ago

excellent,,,, glad I asked.

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

Mine also has the OMRI stamp and with that could not say not for organic production or the stamp wouldnt be there.

• Raven Galarza de Gold
    7 years ago

So, I just bought my first gallon of Alaska fish emulsion. My friend picked it up for me. I am severely chemically injured so I live way out in the wilderness away from any toxic load. Organic gardening all the way. I used the fish emulsion today and my skin, mouth and insides are on fire. I have a headache. Its a chemical reaction. Ive used other fish emulsions with no problem. Im making my own. But I feel so ill and its a definite chemical burn.

I was fine moments before I opened the gallon. My body never lies or exaggerates. Disheartened by the lack of clarity in what is legitimately organically processed and what is not.

• Henry Waxman
    7 years ago

Raven, from 1 gardener to another, I hope you get better.

• Raven Galarza de Gold
    7 years ago

Henry... youre a gem. Thank you for being so kind. Going to shower it off, eat and rest. Try fertilome. Its def a clean product. Hugs for kind posting!

• HU-724947576
    last year

Okay well I came across this thread searching for the metal levels to it, still haven't found... & It has that omri stamp now, (for whatever that's worth.. fda & all the 3 letter organizations are blatantly captured now so) but the ingredients haven't changed....