Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bugs on grape leafs?

Posted by oosul z8 az (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 20:37

There are these bugs on my grape leaves that seem to be
doing some damage by making the leaf have white spots and
black spots and dicoloration. Every leaf that is affected
has these bug on the underside or on the top side.
What are they and how do I get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bugs on grape leafs?

Okay..I just figured out that they are aphids.
So how do I get rid of them?

o

Try blasting them off with the hose. If you are feeling sadistic run your fingers over the leaves and squish them.

If you want to spray them with something get an insecticidal soap. If you want a preventative once you have them cleared up, use Neem oil.

o

Any sharp water spray will knock aphids off, use the hose if you have a lot of area but a 1 quart spray bottle will work as well. That may need to be repeated several times to get all the generations of aphids.

o

Also, I am wondering why you are having aphids on grapes... are you over watering them? If they are established, they won't need much water... Here in Sacramento, where we get around 105, I didn't water them at all... their roots went over to the vegetable garden and got watered that way. I'd suspect, in AZ, if you mulch, you might not have to water more than once a week at the most. IF they are established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here