Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red headed ash borers in garden

Posted by msalter521 GA (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 20:45

This is my first year planting a garden and so far i'm proud of how it has grown but I have found several read headed ash borers in my garden as well as ants and other insects and they've started eating the leaves of my plants... i've tried the newspaper and straw as well as dusting the leaves with bleached flour i know i can't get rid of every single bug but what else can i do to rid my garden of insects naturally because these two methods don't seem to be working??? HELP PLEASE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red headed ash borers in garden

Doubt it's the red headed ash borers. They specialize on trees.

AS far as "getting rid of" -- you need to ID what's doing the damage.

Any chance of pictures -- of the damage; and of the suspects?

o

There are insects that are pests and there are insects that are beneficial. Of the some 8,000,000 insects identified about 8,000 are considered plant pests and many of the others will eat those pestsa, if allowed to.
Newspaper and leaves are mulches and although they can help deter some of the insect pests the primary reason fo rusing them is to provide an environment that helps plants grow and maybe be able to shrug off attacks by the pests, but they are not meant to be something to fight off insect pests. The mulches can also create a habitat that helps the beneficials exist.
To know what to do to control insect pests that are not controlled by the beneficials means proper identification of the pest so you know what to use to aid in controlling them without also killing off the beneficials.

o

I would recommend adding some benficial nematodes to your garden as they will kill off most of your garden pests in a natural way. The beneficial nematodes will not harm your crops, they will simply kill off any ants, grubs, leaf miners and most other pests. Photos will help some. If you need more advise send me a PM.

o

oops; marta is spammy

o

here is a picture of the culprit eating on my corn plant... any help is greatly appreciated

Here is a link that might be useful: red headed ash borer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here