Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
started a new garden need organic advice

Posted by west9491 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 21:08

I just started a garden at a location with my father in law and a couple of his brothers. This site has been gardened on with synthetic ferts for the last few years, and although my section is in between theirs I am still going organic. The soil has a nice tilth, already tilled also. My first step is to use a bag of MG organic ferts, then fertilize once a week with fish emulsion. Does anyone have any other advice??
BTW, I've already sown my seeds. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: started a new garden need organic advice

My advice would be to read a few more threads in this forum...lots has been said already about converting to organic.

o

I would stay away from the MG organic fertilizer. Why not start with a bag of compost used as a mulch. Depending what you are growing, using fish and seaweed will help more than just fish alone.

Ron

o

The only way to know what the soil might need is with a good, reliable soil test.
What is the soils pH?
How well does the soil drain?
How much organic matter is in the soil?
What kind of life do you find in the soil?
If the soil has a pH between 6.2 and 6.8 and has a good balanced nutrient level then puting any fertilizer down is a waste of your money, time, and effort. If you add some fertilizer that is not needed you can create problems you don't want.

o

Hows your drainage?

Also how often did he fertilize the past couple years?

You are probably going to have to leach the heck out of it.

o

soil is ok, i don't think they fertilized it too much, but with all the rain we've had recently it may have already been leached.
I, too, was thinking of going fish emulsion and kelp too. I'll have to get the kelp online...
btw, I'm planting okra, corn, beans, potatoes, zucchini at this spot.
my other garden (organic 4 yrs now) will have various herbs, tomatoes, tomatillos, lettuce, celery, etc. in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here