Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newspaper staying down?

Posted by musickep 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 21:13

Ok, for those who use newspaper as walkways in their garden etc. Do you put anything on it to get it to stay down? I wet mine and then used grass clippings (thankfully from the neighbor) but I never hear anyone talk of this, only that they use newspaper as mulch etc. So I was wondering what you use to keep it from blowing away? Thx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newspaper staying down?

we use anything mulch hay, have used stones and sawdust.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

Yes, you will need to apply something over the newspaper. Most use another form of mulch, such as bark or wood chips, straw, etc.

o

I cover mine with seaweed, then hay, ever since the year that I covered my newspaper with only hay and came home from work only to find the whole neighborhood covered in newspaper and hay. A rock placed on a few corners will help. Eventually the newspaper will get wet and adhere to the ground.

o

I have never put any newspaper down on the walkways in the garden prefering grass, or rarely stone. However newspaper does need something to hold it in place or the wind will blow it around. Wood Chips would be preferable to grass clippings since the grass clippings, thick enough to hold the paper down, will smell really bad. I have seen people try the stone on a few corners of the newspaper and watched as the paper was blown away with the stones left behind. Sometimes I have seen newspaper get wet enough, long enough, to form way looks like paper mache but even that can blow away when the wind is fairly strong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here