Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finnbiker

Tomatoes and fish/seaweed emulsion application

finnbiker
16 years ago

Hi all. Just to clarify some things I've read:

is flowering the correct time to apply fish/seaweed emulsion to tomatoes, or can/should it be another time?

I have never purchased this, but it sounds like a good deal and I'm going to look for some.

Also, is it helpful for beans, peas, zucchini, green onions or herbs?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)

• run2rush2112
    16 years ago

Hey there, what a cool question! I can tell you from experience on this one, That stuff is the best thing I have ever seen or used!! We , me and an older organic hippie farmer, lol, used that spray in a backpack sprayer and sprayed tomatoes from start to finish with it, anything else in the garden that had green leaves on it was doused also. We sprayed that every 5-7 days and you can see the difference before your eyes, its amazing. Another great thing to do, which I highly recommend for any garden, is to get some potatoe sacks, fill them with horse manure* (best), and get some plastic garbage cans with lids, tie off bags well at top, drop in cans,,,fill with water untill all absorbed and can is reallly heavy, let it sit and cure for a few days at least, everyonce in a while ""churning"" the bags by lifting up and down,,,,its a smelly nasty job..but watch the difference! Any advice on killing aphids more effectively than dynamite?

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Fish emulsion is generally used every week or two throughout the season.

It seems to be the preferred fertilizer of giant pumpkin growers.

Neptune Harvest Fish/Seaweed is a fertilizer I am never without.

• rangier
    16 years ago

It's not available nationwide, but if you can get it, I highly recommend Garden-Ville Sea Tea. It contains fish emulsion, seaweed, humate, molasses. Molasses, and I think the humate really help on the smell.

Also, Garden-Ville markets Garrett Juice, which is made according to Howard Garrett's formula. It's a great low N, high P fertilizer for promoting blooms, and as a starter fert.

rangier

• run2rush2112
    16 years ago

thanks there ranger, I will try to locate some of that. Sounds like good stuff. I just made a couple trash cans full of ''manure tea'' today. That really is a good process too, an old organic farmer showed me that trick, I watched plants jump out of the ground and grow huge produce.

• florey
    16 years ago

Banana peels, are supposed to work on aphids. Just hang it in the plant, on the ground is ok too. Smaller pieces, are supposed to work on pretty plants too.

Does this N stuff smell, for a long time? Does it help with deer?

• hatchjon
    16 years ago

Florey,
    If you are reffering to "a great low N, high P fertilizer" N stands for Nitrogen and P for Phosphorus. Along with K (Potassium) these are the three major elements that plants need. They need a lot of other stuff too, but in much smaller quantities.

• korney19
    16 years ago

I think Neptune's Harvest is the best fish emulsion for tomatoes... NPK is higher in P (2-4-1.)

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

If you follow a basic premise of organic gardening and make your soil into a good, healthy soil you will not need fish emulsion or any other liquid, or suplemental, plant food.

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Needing and benefiting from are 2 different things, Kimmsr.

I have yet to meet the soil that had ample N for crops benefiting from moderate to high N rates. Sure, they grow in a highly organic soil without supplement, just not as well.

• florey
    16 years ago

Jon, By N stuff, I meant the Neptune's, -fishy stuff, Some fish ferts. are famous for smellyness. Why would straight nitrogen smell or deter deer? ... :) He, he, consider the source. The micronutrients would be nice though.
    It was Rangier that was refering to the 'great low N, high P-'. Not that I'm agin' a natural source, as I could sure use a bag of horse or cow flops, now for tea [hmm, most N sources sure would smell, but not as badly as fish]. Some wood chips, that are still too near the edge of the veggie patch, are corraling, too much nitrogen, and a little supplementation would help.
    Molasses [and banana peel] is a surprisingly good source of potassium.

"Only two things that money can't buy - True Love and Home Grown Tomatoes ". Who does that song, It's a Hoot!
    Can't wait till August.

• danart1_comcast_net
    15 years ago

As far as keeping deer away, I believe if you apply it as a spray on the plant it does wonders for deterring the deer from eating your crop. The odor is very minimal and my last only until it drys on the plan, but the benefits continue working with regular recommended applications.

A great source for Neptune's Harvest applications at the link below, if you don't find the answer to your question on their website just e-mail them they are wonderfully helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: OrganicGardenGrower.com

• elkwc
    15 years ago

I'm going to try a product next year called "Garlic Barrier" That is supposed to work on several things including aphids. You can do a search for it and it should come up. Some cotton farmers are using it and say it works. It will be a year before I have any opinions on it. JD