Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill weeds organically between pavers?

Posted by piotr01 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 7:28

Anyone have any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill weeds organically between pavers?

1 gallon white vinegar
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid

Mix well. Spray on a sunny day.

Or, just pour some boiling water (with or without salt) on paths to kill weeds between cobblestones, etc.

Some people dont like putting salt in their garden, but its a fun way to get rid of slugs/snails.

o

we lay newspaper and mulch our paths with hay/straw, you can use wood shavings or sawdust, or small stones. the sawdust will help stop the slug's n snails from crawling from bed to bed.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 17:41

Short of digging out the taproot, a teapot full of boiling water is my usual way.

o

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 20:49

Boiling water works pretty well for this but established perennial weeds will often return quickly. Using dishwashing liquid in the garden is not an organic practice; it's synthetically produced and is not on the OMRI list.

o

Vinegar, boiling water, salt, etc. will all kill this growth, for a time and will also allow some organic matter (those dead plants) to accumulate which when combined with the dust from the air will form a good soil for other plants to grow in.
The best way to clean weeds growing between pavers is to lift the pavers up and clean out the plants and any accululated soil that is there, a bit more physical labor but a longer term solution to the problem, unless the pavers are cemented in place.

o

For weeds growing in expansion joints in concrete walkways/driveways, between patio stones or bricks, or in gravel/lava rock mulch, I just fry them with my propane torch. Works great -- in fact, I have company coming this weekend, so I just tonight fried hundreds of little tiny germinating weeds in the expansion joints in my concrete driveway and front walkway -- fast, easy, non-toxic (unless you consider the C02 greenhouse-gas pollution it generates), and the weeds literally burn up and are gone. A few do try to come back from the roots, things like dandelions, but I cook those an extra long time to make sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here