Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sul po mag

Posted by marthacr z5 Me (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 10:37

I had a late soil test done on some veg beds this year and now they are already planted. I need to add a small amount of sul po mag or langbeinite and am having trouble finding any to purchase. Normally, I order my soil amendments from Fedco in the winter, but it's too late to buy from them now without an extremely long drive and wasting a whole day. Several garden centers I've called have no idea what it is, one says they can special order it in a 50 # bag, but I need at most, 8 pounds.

Does anyone know of a retail product that will provide all three that a garden center might carry? I live in Maine, can anyone recommend a brick and mortar store that would carry it? Otherwise, I can order online and pay shipping, or I guess I could add them all separately choosing 3 fast acting sources. I'd have to guess on amounts, though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sul po mag

You need a real fertilizer supplier, supplier to growers. They probably won't have langbeinite, they will have an equivalent. 22% K, 11%Mag, 11% S. You'll have to look at it carefully to make sure you aren't getting straight Potassium Sulphate, 0-0-22, because sul-po-mag will also be tagged 0-0-22.

langbeinite or not, these are mineral salts and so should be added with good amounts of OM unless your soil is quite high in percent OM, say over 10-12%. Not more than 200 lbs per acre in any case, per year, which is very little per sq yrd!

o

I couldn't find it anywhere either; I just ordered Aggrand's Kelp & Sulphate of Potash in desperation. I am hoping that it will serve almost the same purpose in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggrand - kelp & K

o

I would think sulphate of potash and magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) will achieve it.

o

That's what I'm hoping for (crosses fingers for luck)

o

Sul po mag is great stuff if and only if your soil test shows deficiecy in sul, po, and mag. I've come across this only once, in a situation where grass was turned over to vegetables. Regards, Peter.

o

There are different paradigms regarding how much constitutes "desired" levels of any mineral.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here