Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you smother poison ivy to get rid of it?

Posted by egganddart49 5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 10:38

We have our own little grassy knoll, about 20x20, just touching our vegetable garden fence. It's covered with poison ivy and other weeds. It'd be hard to get in there and find all the PI. Do you think covering it all with a big tarp. or even big pieces of cardboard, would kill everything there? Kind of like you do if you want to kill an area of lawn to start a garden?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you smother poison ivy to get rid of it?

Smothering would work just fine, just keep an eye out for runners leaving the smothered area...

Poison Ivy in my yard vines up a tree and up the fence, so I can't smother it. :-(

o

Now I'm wondering, tho, if the poison ivy oil will remain after the plants are dead. How do you get rid of that w/o physically removing the plants?

o

I am having the same problem with poison ivy...and I can't get rid of the source as grand-daddy PI is in my neighbor's yard. This year, at someone's suggestion, I poured gallons of white vinegar on it. So far it is dying...if it stays dead, then I will carefully remove the plants. I have heard the you can't plant anything in the area for at least year after the vinegar dousing...but I am new at this myself. I'll keep you posted.

o

Simply smothering Poison Ivy will not get rid of it. The roots will simply send out runners to find some other place to grow up. The only really effective way to eliminate this "weed" is to dig it out, using lots of care so you do not get the plant oil on your skin. Old clothes, heavy gloves, stuff that can be discarded aferwards because you do not want to wash them in your clothes washer even alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here