Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Deer Repellent Study by Illinois Walnut Council

strawchicago z5
10 years ago

I found a study of Deer Repellents by Illinois Walnut Council on many products: Here's the rating:

Durapel: made from Benzyl Diethyl and Ammonium Benzoate, worked best in all 3 applications, zero damage.

Deer Away (capsaicin and lemon spray): cause burnt death to one tree, plus deer damage.

Deer Away powder (putrid egg solids): good, no damage.

Deer Chaser (citrus pouches that last for 1 year): excellent.

Deer Off (putrid egg, garlic, capsaicin): excellent.

Plantskydd: from Sweden with blood meal & fatty acids: didn't work well, deer damage

Deer No-No (mixed fatty acids): good, no deer damage.

Hot pepper Wax, Coyote urine, and Garlic clips: didn't work, all had severe deer damage. There was another study on corn field by an airport that reported the same deer damage on Coyote urine versus a control.

Surprisingly the cheapest method of 50 cents of a Dial Bar soap, drill a hole and hang one bar from each tree with fishing line: worked well, zero deer damage.

Other successful methods not mentioned by the study:

Some people said horse manure deter deer, some say it doesn't matter. Here's MariJean Andersen 10/7/2008 5:29:47 PM

"I have found that manures and urine do not deter deer. I've seen deer grazing in pastures with horses. The only thing that has worked for me is hanging aluminum pie plates around the perimeter and between some of the plants. We've watched deer graze on the lawn around the garden but never go into it."

Birds were eating fruits from my cherry tree, so I hung those "American on-line" floppy disc on the tree. The shiny reflecting surfaces kept the birds away ... esp. when the wind made windmills out of those discs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Repellent Study by Illinois Walnut Council

Comment (1)