Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar to kill weeds, a new question I think.

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 11:43

Sporadically someone suggests that vinegar can be used to kill weeds and someone explains that it may only kill the plant above ground and the roots will put out a new plant.

We had measurable rainfall in the Western Great Basin. One station reported 0.06 inches [The Western slopes got real rain. Reno reported over an inch.]. So areas of bare desert beside the house have suddenly sprouted thousands of weeds. By the time I arrange transportation to town and buy some vinegar and a sprayer these little buggers will have true leaves and it will be too late. So the question is hypothetical.

Here is the new question, I think. If one sprays the new plant which has just cotyledons with vinegar would it kill the whole plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar to kill weeds, a new question I think.

What happens when you spray any plant with vinegar is that the leaves the vinegar contacts will die. Whether that will kill the roots depends on the plant and how often the plant gets sprayed. If you keep the plants leaves dead eventually the whole plant will die because there is nothing, no leaves, to manufacture the nutrients the plants roots need to survive. So spraying even a very hardy plant often enough with vinegar will kill the roots too.

o

I used Vinegar to deal with weeds. At $2 for a 2 gallon jug from a costco, you cannot go wrong. I do not use it for controlling weeds in the landscape so much. Generally I use it where weeds are growing between cracks on pavement, around pool and places like that. Spray the leaves and down into the crack will kill (most of the time) the plant.

I do use it on mulched area's, but usually might have to come back a couple days later. It works though.

o

albert, to answer your question about the seedlings: applying vinegar once to a very young seedling will kill the plant. They won't have developed enough of a root system to serve as an energy bank. Thus, no new growth to replace the tiny leaves you've zapped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here