Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oy.. Can I use Murphy's Oil as part Of Insecticidal Soap

Posted by clare2008 ottawa ontario z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 13:31

Hi..
I am having quite a "Time" with Aphids this year on my tomatoes. Hate using anything as I am of the mind that when the plant is healthy it will take care of itself. BUT, this year the aphids are out of control.
I have used various insecticidal soaps in the past and was wondering if anyone has ever used Murphy's Oil Soap as part of their recipe?
And, if so what is a good ratio of soap to water. Should I wash off the mixture after it has been on the leaves for a period of time?
Does it have much "phyto toxicity"?
Does it burn plants?

Hopefully it'll take care of the aphids..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oy.. Can I use Murphy's Oil as part Of Insecticidal Soap

Dish soap is cheaper. There are literally scores of threads on this site with recipes & instructions.

Dan

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 16:20

In a 1 quart spritzer bottle, mix:
1 pint very hot water
1 teaspoon neem oil (cold-pressed or virgin oil only - Dyna-Gro packages a very good product)
2-4 drops Murphy's oil soap
Shake well and add 1 pint of 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
Spritz

Shake frequently while spritzing. Be sure to cover the entire plant. Don't spray in full sun. A little more Murphy's is ok, but unnecessary if using the isopropyl. Repeat at 1-2 week intervals as needed.

Al

o

Thanks for the tips re the threads and the recipes.. I will go over the various threads again.
I couldn't find one with someone's experience of using Murphy's Oil..
I have been told that it is important to use "soaps" that are detergent free and have some "fat" base to them as this is part of what kills the bugs..
I thought "Murphy's!!" as this is what is in the closet..
Any more tips are welcome and I will keep searching..

o

I gave up and ordered ladybugs

o

The simplest, quickest, easiest way to get rid of Aphids is a sharp stream of water to knock the wee buggers off the plant. A hand held spray bottle does work really well for this because your garden hose pressure could wreak havoc to the plant.
If an Insectidical Soap is desired, and it is not really as effective as simply knocking the buggers off the plant, you need a real soap and none of the "dish soaps" are soaps. The "dish soaps" are detergents which can cause serious harm to plants. Murphy's Oil Soap is a real soap and can be used just as an of the other real soaps. Mix 1 teaspoon of that soap in 1 quart of water. More often than not when spraying the IS on Aphids you knock the wee buggers off the plant anyway so adding the soap to the water is not all that more effective. Spaying with the IS after you clean that generation of Aphids off the plant may help control the future generations that will be moving in.
The best, most effective means of control of Aphids is to be sure the soil your plants are growing in is a good, healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants that will be less attractive to insect pests such as Aphids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here