Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

salt not disolve in H2O for killing Poison Ivy

chueh
15 years ago

I got this natural remedy for killing poison ivy. It's 3 pounds of salt mix with 1 gallon of water and some dishwashing liquid. I use hot water, but salt is not dissolved. I cook it, but it's still not dissolved. What can I do to dissolve salt easier, instead of adding a little of salt each time. It would take forever to dissolve 3 pounds

Comments (20)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Where did you get that natural remedy?

To me, that sounds like WAY TOO MUCH salt, I doubt you will be able to get that much salt to dissolve in the water at any temperature...

FWIW, ocean water has a salinity of approximately 3%. The proportion you are proposing is 10 times greater...

And then what will that do to the soil in the area? I think its way too much salt and could potentially damage the soil in the area, if you are not very careful with the application.

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Honestly, even though this is the organic forum, you would be better with RoundUp than all that salt in terms of how much damage you will do to the soil. NOTHING will grow in that area until the salt is all leeched away and that won't happen overnight.

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

I'm not sure that you CAN dissolve 3 lbs of salt in 1 gallon of water, even if you wanted to. Where did you get this "natural" remedy from?

I agree, even Round-up would be better than this.

• dicot
    15 years ago

Yeah, this is a bad idea and as Joe said, it's not chemically possible to make a salt solution of those proportions. Dear god do I hate poison oak, I must have had over a 100 cases of it in my lifetime, but your best bet is hand removal of the plants and as much of the roots as you can get, then deep mulching.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's from "Bottom Line's Healing Remedies." I wonder if it's misprinted or what? I am so afraid of poison ivy; I am so allergic to it. Just thinking of all the oil would get on me by pulling it makes me so scared.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

If you are severely allergic to PI, like I am, you cannot pull it, you simply can't risk exposure.

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Could you rent some goats? Or hire somebody else to pull it, who isn't severely allergic?

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

In the past, I had a neighbor who wasn't allergic, who was very diligent about keeping up with the PI. He kept it under control in both of our yards. We would barter, I would mow his yard or give him a case of beer or some baked goods in exchange for his efforts.

But I no longer have that neighbor... ;-(

I'd like some goats, but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate them and I'm sure we don't have the proper zoning for them, either. The other problem with goats is that they will eat stuff besides poison ivy too. There's quite a bit of eupatorium rugosum growing in the same vicinity of the PI, that would not be good for them...

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish I had a neighbor like that.
    Actually, before i posted the question here, I tried salt water (the very little portion of salt dissolved) on PI. This morning I took a look at them. They are as strong and glamorous as they were the day before yesterday. Perhaps, Round-up is the only solution!

• cccatcrazy
    15 years ago

When my daughter moved into her new home, she found that the yard was crawling with poison ivy, including up half a dozen huge oak trees.

After recovering from her first bout of misery, she went at those vines with a vengeance! She donned rubber gloves and a disposble raincoat, and proceeded to cut (prune) through as many climbing stems as she could find, as close to the ground as she could. She then covered as much of the crawling vine as she could with old carpet she had removed from the house. That carpet stayed on the ground for a year and a half, but in the end, she had smothered 90% of the growth.
    In the spring, donning suitable coverups and armed with the pruner, she cut and pulled dowm as much of the climbing vines as she could reach from a step ladder, bundled them up in rolls of newspaper, bagged the bundles and took them to the dump. She knew that burning the dead plants would expose her to poisonous smoke -- worse than the oils, I promise!

But her yard is now virtually PI free! And the flower garden she was able to plant when the carpet was finally removed is a treasure!

Good luck!

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

IME, round up alone doesn't work the vines, either.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So...... what can I do, joepyweed??? I cannot let PI multiply, or I would have to move out of here ;-( I love this house.... I am scared even if I wear protection, because I could touch it while taking off the protection. If I touch it, I will have to go to ER........

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

If you are that reactive to PI, then I think you need to bite the bullet and hire someone to deal with it for you. Organic or non organic solution, either way it sounds like you shouldn't be anywhere near it.

When it comes to killing things I really don't see any advantage to wearing the organic label. In my view organics are for growing things. When it comes to killing things use the least toxic solution that you have reason to believe will actually work and is reasonable for you. By reasonable for you I mean your time, budget and limitations.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, chueh, the most effective way of getting rid of PI in my yard would not meet organic gardening criteria.

You can send me an email if you would like, (culversoot@yahoo.com) so as not to annoy the strict organic gardeners here by talking about non-organic methods.

I too end up in the hospital with PI exposure. I used to get a shot as a prophylactic, but the shot has been banned by the FDA for use as a poison ivy preventative. I guess the side effects were not considered worth the benefits. I do miss that shot.

• tomakers
    15 years ago

I don't like Round Up, but I don't like Poison Ivy either.
    Round Up is used commercially to get rid of PI. Mix 10:1 and wipe on covering as many leaves as possible. It DOES work, although if you have HUGE vines it might require more than 1 application.
    Probably any one you could hire will want to use it anyhow.

PS - I am NOT an advocate of Round Up and would never use it in my garden, but I have used it commercially and it does work.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Round up may work on young and new herbacious plants, but it won't work on the woody vining stuff that grows up the fence line and the oak tree, whose mother root is only knows where...

If RU does work it, might take two or three applications, over the course of several weeks at very high concentrations. Meanwhile, my dogs are brushing up against stuff, I am petting them and then wiping my brow. And then I'm in the hospital, with my eyes swelled shut waiting for them to shove a tube down my throat. Believe me, I've been there, done that...its not fun.

• tomakers
    15 years ago

For some reason my dog seems to love PI. He ALWAYS chooses a patch of PI as a rest room. My wife always worries about getting it from the dog, but I never pay any attention and although I am extremely sensitive, and pet the dog without thinking, I have never got it that way. My mother could pull it out barehanded and not be affected.
    Round Up works by killing the roots of the plant. Naturally, if you have an extremely large plant it will take more to kill it. However, it DOES NOT take a heavier concentration. In fact, a heavier concentration on many plants may burn the top and NOT kill the roots.
    Use it as the label indicates. A lot of problems can be avoided by reading the instructions. :-)
    JMO,
    Tom

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I have gotten poison ivy from dogs on more than one occasion.

And yes, you can get it that way. You can get it from using unwashed tools, you can get it from being exposed to the oil on your clothing when you toss them into the wash...

Using round up per the instructions is very important. And note that regular round up (glyphosate) is not recommended for use woody shrubs and brush. And once poison ivy gets to the vining stage its no longer an herbaceous plant, its a now a woody plant. And yes round up makes a product for poison ivy, but its not just glyphosate, its a combination of triclopyr and glyphosate.

• Jimeheld_nyc_rr_com
    12 years ago

I just bought a house with PI in the yard. While I'm not allergic to it I'm worried about my boy. Although I haven't had a yard for awhile I remember using a hot saline solution and pouring the almost boiling water on PI. It can't handle the heat, and the salt often killed it outright. Digging it out or covering it with old carpet or cardboard took care of the rest. Friendly plants can grow again in a year or so. It's been awhile though since I've done this, so has anyone tried this solution?

• dicot
    12 years ago

It probably wasn't the heat that took down your p.i., Jim. It was the smothering. I've been on plenty of wildland fires that were hotter than boiling water, yet the first opportunistic plant to regrow was usually the poison oak or ivy. Using long-handled clippers and smothering the p.i. would likely give the same results w/o having to salt your soil.