Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are pattypan squash leaves yellowing?

Posted by champagne 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 14:09

Does anyone know what's going on with these pattypan squash leaves? The zucchini on the right is fine, but the pattypan on the left is yellowing, with spots. And it seems to be spreading to each leaf, one by one.

I don't see any bugs on it, and it's had all the same growing conditions as the zucchini, including organic fertilizing, etc. But it's looking quite different. Is this a normal color variation? I've never grown pattypan before and I only planted one seed as an experiment to see if I like it. If it's a problem, what should I do? Thanks for the input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are pattypan squash leaves yellowing?

Gosh, I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) that no one has any ideas yet on what's got into my pattypan leaves. No one in the Vegetable forum has replied, either. Is it that mysterious? I've looked in several garden-pest books and nothing seems to fit the description.

The one leaf (first to show signs) is all yellow-spotted but now the others are just turning evenly golden. I'm trying to figure out if this is simply what patty pan squash leaves are supposed to look like. The variety is "Sunburst" and the seeds are from Territorial.

There are no bugs or powdery substances or anything else amiss. Just yellow spots and golden leaves. I don't believe it's a lack of nitrogen as I amended the soil pretty well and everything else there is green and lush.

Any ideas at all....anyone????

o

"I don't believe it's a lack of nitrogen as I amended the soil pretty well"

Soooo....did you remove all of the organic matter and mulch and all the good stuff to take the picture? Because I don't see anything.

Over-watering? Just guessing, because anytime I see bare soil like that people tend to overwater because it always looks dry.

Just because everything else looks healthy doesn't mean they will stay that way. Mulch, mulch, mulch

o

Well, I'm glad to get some feedback, even if it is a scolding. :-D

I know that plot of ground isn't great looking, as I started with a lump of clay, literally. But I did work in a good (and expensive) soil amendment and I did mulch with homemade compost. But perhaps it's not quite enough, I admit.

I always did have a little trouble with "is it too much water or not enough?" and "is it too much nitrogen or not enough?" I'm not really sure how to tell until it's too late!

However, I will indeed mulch a lot more and lay off the water a bit.

My other thought is that the patty pan is more sensitive to cold than the Black Beauty zucchini is. We've had nighttime temps in the LOW 40s the past few weeks. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for the input.

o

Yhat looks like some insect damage to me, not a nutrient deficiency.
How much organic matter is in your soil?
How is the life of your soil?
How well does that soil drain?
How well does that soil retain moisture?
What does that soil smell like?
When was your last soil test done?
What is your soils pH?

o

My squash was doing the same thing. I mulched my squash about 4 inches deep with compost. At first, I thought it was the blight because it was on my tomatoes. So, I sprayed my plants with a fingicide and the plants just kept getting more yellow. My husband finally worked some nitrogen into the soil and the plants reversed and got better. Now, green leaves are putting on and the yellow leaves turned green again. So, it wasn't the blight. The plants just needed nitrogen. All I can say is...spray with a fingicide and if that doesn't help, apply some nitrogen to the soil and water it in good.

o

The older/lower leaves may indicate a N deficiency but if the plant next to it is not exhibiting the same symptom it argues for a different cause. is your soil uniform, first time growing there this year, amended uniformly? Are both plants purchased transplants, if so they might have brought the problem with them?
The close up shot may be from a piercing-sucking insect, IE leafhopper or aphids, that infected the plant and then left or died, they can be picky eaters invading one plant and not another. I am not up on squash diseases but they no doubt have their own problems too.

o

that looks exactly like my yellow squash leaves did and I gave them nitrogen and it went away. or rather, I cut off the yellowed leaves and now they're fine and stopped turning yellow.

I'm in Washington too. I think the cold is really messing with things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here