Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are all my Pumpkin flowers Male?

Posted by aiden (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 15:21

Hello, I have three Pumpkin vines growing at the moment and there all about 6-7 foot long and have plenty of leaves and buds, but they all seem to be male ive only come across 1 female thats in early stages of growth, is there any reason for this? is it the weather? or just a bad batch of seeds i planted or could it be down to something im doing wrong? or is there anything i could do to promote groth of female buds?
help apreciated
thanx
Aiden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are all my Pumpkin flowers Male?

it's normal

o

Agree with justaguy- my punkins usually send out lots of male flowers before the female flowers start. I dunno why this is, but maybe it's to get the polinating insects to find the plant before it invests the extra energy into making female flowers.

Some squashes are the opposite, from what I've read in forums, but I haven't seen it.

o

All members of the cucurbit family start with male blossoms, but the geneticists have developed cultivars of many of these that only produce male, or female, blossoms. However if you have seen at least one female blossom that may well mean that others will follow soon.

o

yep aiden,

pretty normal happening, and you will go through periods of all female flowers and no male flowers for pollination. to ensure good crop if pollinators are scarce do some hand pollinating.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

o

Ya- pick a male flower that's opened, pull the petals off, and "do the deed" with the female flowers. A little Barry White and a few drops of red wine in the watering can help things along.

o

I understand that the male flowers show up first, but it's August now and I STILL don't have any female flowers. Any ideas why this would be?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here