Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing landscape fabric & weeds

Posted by happyd11 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 15:35

I have some untended garden areas that have landscape fabric that was covered with wood chips and the weeds are out of control. We are in Minnesota.

1. What is the best way to get rid of the landscape fabric & the weeds in a flower garden with perennials(someone was going to till for me until they realized there was landscape fabric)?

2. What is the best thing to do to prevent weeds for the rest of the summer/fall and what should I do next year to prevent weeds.

3. I also have a garden area without landscape fabric that were woodchip mulched and are getting over grown with weeds. I think the perennials are too close together to till, is hand weeding or hoeing the best option.

Sorry if these were asked here, I've been trying to search and the results have been overwhelming and haven't addressed my questions.

So far I've found boiling water is an option, but there's a lot of weeds to try and kill going that route, doesn't seem feasible. Some of the weeds are bad - thistle, some is grass, some are tree seedlings, not sure what the rest are.

And why on earth do bunnies/deer only eat flowers and not weeds?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing landscape fabric & weeds

1. Most of the "weeds" that are growing in that mulched area may well be growing in the mulch, something that happens when the material is not periodically renewed, and can easily be pulled out, or killed simply be stirring the mulch material with a cultivator. However the "landscape fabric" can be removed, if desired, simply by carefully lifting it up and out and then replacing the mulch that was there.
2. You can aid in "weed" suppression, after removing the fabric, by laying down newspaper and covering that with a mulch material. That will also help suppress "weed" growth in the future, but there is nothing that will prevent "weeds" from growing if they have half a chance. Since Ma Nature does not like here soil left bare she grows what we call "weeds" to try to protect that soil fromt he ravages of the sun, wind, and rain. When we put down a mulch, thick enough to protect the soil, then those "weeds" will not grow.
3. You can work at digging out those "weeds" or you can lay down newspaper over them and cover that newspaper with a good mulch material and that can help suppress those "weeds".
Be carefull with boiling water because that can also harm your wanted plants.
Never, ever apologize for asking a question because that is how you learn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here