Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyd11

Removing landscape fabric & weeds

happyd11
14 years ago

I have some untended garden areas that have landscape fabric that was covered with wood chips and the weeds are out of control. We are in Minnesota.

1. What is the best way to get rid of the landscape fabric & the weeds in a flower garden with perennials(someone was going to till for me until they realized there was landscape fabric)?

2. What is the best thing to do to prevent weeds for the rest of the summer/fall and what should I do next year to prevent weeds.

3. I also have a garden area without landscape fabric that were woodchip mulched and are getting over grown with weeds. I think the perennials are too close together to till, is hand weeding or hoeing the best option.

Sorry if these were asked here, I've been trying to search and the results have been overwhelming and haven't addressed my questions.

So far I've found boiling water is an option, but there's a lot of weeds to try and kill going that route, doesn't seem feasible. Some of the weeds are bad - thistle, some is grass, some are tree seedlings, not sure what the rest are.

And why on earth do bunnies/deer only eat flowers and not weeds?

Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)