Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_dee_gw

Squash Vine Borer/Remove Plant?

Sunny_Dee
12 years ago

So, unfortunately, I've identified the damage and insect (not larvae) of squash vine borer on one of my pumpkin vines and possibly on my yellow squash. The pumpkin's damage is more extensive and looks like that one is dieing out.

Should I remove the whole plant (carefully) b/c it's within very close proximity of other pumpkins? I don't want the plant to die out and breed fungus/bacterias, etc.

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Search the stem for the boere, the larva, and kill it and then bury that stem in soil and it may root and grow some more. No need to pull that plant out.

• Sunny_Dee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kimmsr, the plant is yellowing and has brown spots. It is easy to tell the infected plant among the green, healthy ones. Possibly infected with a bacteria or something. Do you think I can still do as you suggested above and treat it with Neem or Garden Dust for the fungal/bacterial issue?

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

The yellowing leaves more than likely are the result of the Squash Vine Borer cutting off nutrients while the brown spots could be about anything. If you are really concerned about disease pull the affected plants, but my first inclination would be to bury the affected stems and let them reroot. If they grow back well no problem, if they are diseased there is still time to yank them.

• lizzygracepond
    12 years ago

OK, about a month ago, I had the Borer in all my squash, Pumpkins, acorn, etc. I went in with a knife, (the squash were very tough) and waged WAR on the dang worm. A few of the worms were so small I really couldn't find them, but think I got them. Others were big, juicy and gross. BUT I GOT THEM, and fed them to the fish.

I made sure I buried parts of the vine to get it to root in various places, (do this always, to avoid death when you have any problems).

more than a month later, I am eating Yellow Squash, and almost all others look great. A few took a while to bounce back, but they did. My ACORN squash are all on death row. I think they were very small when I got to them and probably missed the bug. The borer appears to have gotten the vine about 2 feet in. Pull when they are for sure dead or diseased.

SO GOOD NEWS, IT WORKS!!! The base of the plant looks like crap where I did surgery, but the plant is very healthy! Now if the bees would just help me pollinate!

Good luck, and go for it. Just get some more roots going ASAP. Also, I have new acorn squash started. I am going to cover them till they need pollinating with garden fabric to keep the borer out. The extension service also suggested putting SEVEN around the base to discourage pests and putting tinfoil around base and ground to discourage fungi. Just starting powdery mildew on a few leaves TODAY. Ug , here we go�

LizzyG

• althea_gw
    12 years ago

Lizzy, could you describe how you performed the surgery? I've read about this before, a long time ago, but can't remember the reference.

Also, will this (surgery & burying the stem) work for zucchini?

• veeta
    12 years ago

I cut mine out with a knife, but that is risky. You can also take a needle or bent paper clip and kill it by poking, for less damage to the stem. It should work for any vining squash.