Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will corn gluten act as pre emergent stopping grass?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 15:40

Will corn gluten act as pre-emergent stopping grass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will corn gluten act as pre emergent stopping grass?

Yes.

tj

o

No

It is said to reduce the germinating of small seeds and has absolutely no affect on grass sprouting from roots

o

Hi again. Did you see the information I gave you on your last post about corn gluten?

Regarding it acting as a pre-emergent for grass, Doug Green from Simple Gifts Farm has some helpful reading. If you're not aware of who Doug Green is, he's published books and has been gardening "forever".

www.simplegiftsfarm.com/corn-gluten.html

o

The best source of information about Corn Gluten Meal would probably be the Iowa state University researchers that discovered its use. They do indicate that CGM will suppress the growth of some grass seedlings. I am not able to find anything to indicate it will stop the growth of grass from roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal

o

If you do a google search "Doug Green corn gluten" you'll get tons of information written for everyday gardeners. He tells you how much to use, what it does, how it works, what it does and doesn't work for, all in simple terms. =:)

( I am in no way advertising or associated with him. I just enjoy his websites and knowledge.)

o

I took "act as pre-emergent" to mean seed. Yes it will affect grass seed but not the rhizomes.

tj

o

I don't think the person who posted this question is here. Didn't respond to the other question from June 27th either. Oh well........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here