Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Roundup resistant superweeds emege

californian
13 years ago

BY SCOTT KILMAN

Hardy superweeds immune to the Farm Belt's most effective weedkiller are invading fields, prompting a counterattack from agribusiness that could leave farmers using greater amounts of harsh old-line herbicides.

The flagging weedkiller is Roundup. Its developer, Monsanto Co., also sells seeds for corn, soybean and cotton plants unaffected by the chemical, enabling farmers to spray it on freely without fear of harming their crops. Farmers now do so en masse, using "Roundup Ready" crop varieties for 90% of the soybeans and 80% of the corn grown across the U.S.

Comments (12)

• jonas302
    13 years ago

Yes you can read all about weed resistance on monsantos website its no secret and has nothing to do with Organic gardening

• puzzlefan
    13 years ago

Whenever I see Round Up on sale, I want to stick a sign under it BUY THIS Promote cancer. Oh well, the sign wouldn't last long. Instead of Round UP why not try BURN OUT. A very strong acidic solution, nothing lives and you really don't want to splash it on yourself. Even ordinary vinegar in a large dose on a hot day will kill vegetation.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

* jonas302 Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 21:39 ... Yes you can read all about weed resistance on Monsanto website its no secret and has nothing to do with Organic gardening.

I think that "organic" is quasi-religous.

Monsato is rather like Baal-zebul, and RoundUp is one of the demons.

• dicot
    13 years ago

Sure, Al. How could anyone find anything substantial to dislike about Monsanto? Those hippies must be crazy!

In the Washington Post article (Jan 1, 2002) "Monsanto Hid Decades Of Pollution PCBs Drenched Ala. Town, But No One Was Ever Told" a grim story of Monsanto's treacherous behavior in Anniston Alabama was revealed. It is summed up in this chilling paragraph: "They also know that for nearly 40 years, while producing the now-banned industrial coolants known as PCBs at a local factory, Monsanto Co. routinely discharged toxic waste into a west Anniston creek and dumped millions of pounds of PCBs into oozing open-pit landfills. And thousands of pages of Monsanto documents -- many emblazoned with warnings such as "CONFIDENTIAL: Read and Destroy" -- show that for decades, the corporate giant concealed what it did and what it knew."

• Michael
    13 years ago

I wonder how much the Obama campaign got from Monsanto, now that this thread has veered way off course into the superweeds.

• Heddy123
    12 years ago

Roundup resistant superweeds: MARSHMALLOW! worst weed in the world.
    Should try Oxyfan and Metsulfuron on them.

BED STRAW: this is a bad weed. once again, oxyfan and metsufuron.

Note: oxyfan is a bad chemical, but it is super effective. don't spray near animals though-it is a marine biohazard apparently.

Metsufuron: great and safe chemical. Is sold as granular, and is excellent. Never ever use too much though, you'll never grow anything ever again in that spot.

• jolj
    12 years ago

There are at least a hand full of weeds that round- up will not kill.
    Nut Sage,Wild Dewberry, Bahia grass,Wild Garlic, what these weeds have in common.
    They all have food storage nut, thick roots, bulbs or deep roots.
    These are not round up ready or Genetic Engineered weeds, just tough by nature.
    Yes Satan owns Monsanto Co.

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

Yep, some guy in orlando who just signed up yesterday to promote his little ornamental pond business has the solution for the poisoning of north america by glyphosate.

Certain weeds that can tolerate severe mineral deficiencies can develop tolerance, apparently. Not too surprising. That doesn't help, in the short term, the fatal problem of de-mineralization of our ag soils due to massive over-cropping, pesticides and herbicides, and now the chelating and binding effect of glyphosate. Cancer is the result of de-mineralized food.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    12 years ago

Pat, I fairly well agree. Also lack of vitamin D3 is causing many cancers I believe.....just slather on the sunblock.

• jolj
    12 years ago

wayne 5, sunburn is bad too.
    The recommended time for vitamin D is one hour unprotected, per day for adults.
    I am sure you know this, but some may not.:-)

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

I have read that an hour is sufficient for dark skin. For very light-skinned people 15 minutes in the summer full sun is enough.

I work mostly outside so generally vitamin D is no concern, even in wintertime. I suppose some folks are indoors so much that vitamin D could be a problem, especially for those with african ancestry.