Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
it_better_be_organic

Fish Emulsion & Dealing with its acidity...........

Just wondering...what is everyone's opinion on this?

So far I have been hearing two different opinions:

1) Using fish emulsion that has just been mixed with water is ok, because even though the acidity of the solution is generally 3-5pH, the soil and the life within it will somewhat neutralize the acidity.

2) When using fish emulsion make sure to attempt to adjust pH before using (either by aerating, using hydrated lime, or both)

(I am talking about fish emulsion out of the bottle at the store - particularly "Neptune's")

Which opinion is correct? What do you suggest? I'm wondering if it's ok to use the solution right away, or if the acidity will be too much of a shock to the plants. Thanks

Comments (14)

• it_better_be_organic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By the way the plants are either vegtables, herbs, or flowers. A wide range. I know some plants may be sensitive to certain pH's but if you can just give me an answer in general which doesn't account for "extremes" (plants that can't handle extreme pH swings, or plants that are very sensitive to pH change)

• username_5
    17 years ago

I wasn't even aware fish emulsion was acidic until your post.

I went and mixed 1 ounce with a gallon of water (the instructions say 1-2 ounces per gallon). I measured the ph of the solution with a litmus strip capable of reading 4.5 to 7.5. It registered 6.0. I then added a second ounce of emulsion and retested. The ph was 5.5.

I have never had a problem on anything I have used it on as best I can tell and being organic I doubt it stays acidic after it quickly breaks down. Nearly everything trends toward neutral.

In any event what you need to consider is that the rain generally has a ph of 5.5 or lower. Given this I can't see the harm to any plant with a fish emulsion fert with a ph of 5.5.

• Kimmsr
    17 years ago

If that fish emmulsion was did have a pH that low (3) it would burn your plants really fast, pour some sulfuric acid on a plant and see what happens. If the fish fertilizer was as low as 5.5 it also would burn plants fairly fast, try putting some vinegar on a plant and see what happens.

• pablo_nh
    17 years ago

Sulfuric acid would have a much lower pH than 3, unless it was unreasonably diluted. Vinegar would be pH 3. HCl at something like 4% v/v is zero. Sulfuric acid at about 4% v/v would be negative.

• username_5
    17 years ago

-- try putting some vinegar on a plant and see what happens. --

I do put vinegar on plants, acid lovers anyway. I use vinegar with my tapwater to get the ph to 4.5 for bluberries (that's why I have litmus test strips).

A ph of 5.5 isn't going to burn anything. If it did then there would be no plant life on earth since the rain is more acidic.

• pablo_nh
    17 years ago

By the way, a little pH 5.5 liquid fertilizer WON'T burn anything, unless it needs really high pH soil.

• trancegemini_wa
    17 years ago

I grow plants that like alkaline conditions because thats what my soil is like and Ive never burnt a plant with fish emulsion in the years Ive been using it. you worry way too much monkeyman ;)

TG

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

off to get some fish emulsion! well, maybe when the stores open. i also have a blueberry...and an azalea...and lingonberries...and neutral to alkaline soil :)

• it_better_be_organic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey trance i dont worry too much, i remember using fish emulsion on plants once and the leaves yellowed and dropped so i thought N was being locked out because of the acidity but looking back it may also have been just lacking N.. I will follow everyone's advice and won't bother changing pH of the stuff before using; thanks

• LoudCloud9
    11 years ago

The main reason why fish emulsions is so acidic, is shelf life. The manufacturer actually adds acid to stop decomposition. Otherwise, the emulsions would continue to ferment and eventually would build up enough pressure to cause the bottle to explode. The low ph destroys "things" that make it ferment/decompose. I have found that adjusting ph helps the nutrients to become available quicker resulting in faster even growth after fertilization. Not adjusting the ph seems to add a couple of days of lag to the burst of growth after fertilization. Bubbling the mixed fish emulsion solution for 24 to 36 hours or longer, will help raise ph. Also lime can be added to the solution for a quicker adjustment of ph. Either way the soil will buffer to the correct ph anyway. Personally I adjust.

• Florence Flood
    6 years ago

I am astounded that Fish Emulsion fertilizers do not carry a warning of the danger to pets! It contains sulfuric acid! My pet has been in the hospital 3 days now with serious burns to his stomach and esophagas and damage to his heart from licking up about a teaspoon of fertilizer applied to my geraniums. According to every site I've researched these past few days, sulfuric acid is life threatening in even a single drop. Scottie may not survive this event...honestly, I'm not sure I will either! He is like my child....and I am involved in injuring him so badly. How many people --like me-- think they are using an organic product when it is actually so deathly toxic to their pets and them!? I am angst!!!

• HU-56673040
    4 years ago

pH isnt really what burns plant roots, it's the heat created by the chemical reaction of fertilizers being broken down by microbial life. Think of the heat a compost pile generates. I mean obviously if you went really low with your pH like sulfuric acid its going to burn any organic matter, but the main issue with low pH values is nutrient lockout, not root burn. If pH is too high or too low the roots become unable to take in certain nutrients.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Just a comment about the sulfuric acid.....or phosphoric acid, which is also used to stabilize the product. It is less than 1% of the solution. And when fish emulsion is diluted as per instructions, the percentage concentration drops dramatically. And sulfuric acid is included (and in much higher levels) in all manner of common household products. And in food products, including cheeses, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages.

For a dog to demonstrate evidence of sulfuric acid poisoning, it would need to consume an awful lot of fish emulsion.........and you can find various online sources regarding dogs seeking out and getting into undiluted fish emulsion with no more ill effects than an upset stomach and a strong fishy smell. I'd susect something else was involved.