Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Augustine grass

Posted by Vickie56 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 05 at 18:40

This is our 1st year for organic gardening. Our St. Augustine was laid 2 yrs ago. Last year it did fairly well. This year we have some bare spots. Now I notice yellowing of the blades. This is spotty yellowing. I mean it's here and there. So far, I have applied corn meal (the cheap brand from walmart),An organic fertilizer, coffee grounds,Texas green sand, and dried cow manure. We bought the hound dog and aerated really well. I looked closely and didn't see any chinch bugs, and I dug 3 spots and didn't see a grub. We have the clay soil. After we aerated we had a good rain. I was hoping to have good results from organic gardening, now my husband thinks I messed up. Did I mess up? What do I need to do now? Please help!!
Vickie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Augustine grass

in clay, yearly aeration and sand applications [plain ol sand] will improve the soil tilth - try ground/powdered alfalfa for fertilizing - and tell hubby organics takes time, the 'quick fix' chems don't do a thing for the long term health of the soil - does he want to be stuck w/ many yearly applications of chems for the rest of his life? :)

Bill

o

I started on an organic program last spring and my St. A looks beautiful. It is growing so fast that weekly mowing really isn't enough. There are no weeds because it competes really well. It is slowly taking over the rest of my lawn which is bermuda. It can't happen quickly enough for my liking, I hate bermuda.

How high are you mowing? I mow St A on the highest setting of my mower and it really thrives at this height.

I've never tried manure on the lawn, I wonder if that could be causing a problem? Could there have been some hot spots?

o

Turfgrass has a high nitrogen requirement. Have you figured out, with all of the things you've added, how much actual N you've applied?

I have to disagree with squeeze about the sand. A little bit of sand mixed in with a clay soil will make a more compacted concrete like clay! Organic matter is the only fix for clay soils. Organic matter applications of all kinds will slowly help create a more sponge like consistancy out of your clay soil.

Don't forget that St. Augustine is a warm season grass and won't really start to get going until the soil really warms up. Clay soils stay cool longer, so that's one more reason for a slow green up. Your grass type will probably look its best in the hottest part of summer!

o

thanks for the replies. the grass looks really great now. we have a few bare spots but they seem to be filling in really good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here