Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dog ate bone meal

Posted by aussietrio (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 19:10

My 40 lb dog just ate a few tablespoons (guestimating) of Bone Meal (Espoma). I have been searching online and can't find the ingredients or if it is toxic to dogs or not. If it is just ground up, processed bone then I won't worry, but I just want to make sure there's no cocoa or anything like that in there. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dog ate bone meal

Their web site says it is "100% pure, no additives or fillers", so I personally, wouldn't worry about it. Bone meal is an ingredient in some versions of homemade dog food, although a food grade version is used, but a few tablespoons of 100% bonemeal won't harm him.

who knows, maybe he needed the minerals?

Here is a link that might be useful: espoma products

o

Well, I looked at a lot of the other espoma product info and all of them have cocoa meal. I'm guessing this is why my dogs keep trying to get at it. Every time I plant something new with bone meal, they follow behind me and try to dig it up.

Anyway, just to be safe, I made her throw it up.

o

Your dog keeps trying to get it because it's bone meal -- not because of cocoa meal. News flash, dogs also like blood meal and aren't above a good roll in fish emulsion either. None of this in moderation will hurt dogs. Dogs like bones. Dogs like stinky stuff. Dogs are dogs.

o

Funny you mention this.
I sprinkled bone meal on top of my potted roses a couple of weeks ago. My 2 heathens (I don't mean that; I love them more than anything!) knocked over both pots and ate all the bonemeal and a good bit of dirt. Note to self, lesson learned!

PS - My kiddos never showed any signs of illenss.

o

Many commercial dog foods contained Bone Meal as part of the ingrediants, as did many other animal foods until the big scare with Bovine Spongiform in England. Today few animal foods are permitted to contain Bone Meal in the mix.
Bone Meal is simply ground up animal bones, from the animals that are slaughtered to provide the meat you eat. Some research has found that Bone Meals are not as good a nutrient source as some years ago because of the way we feed these animals today so the bones do not have a chance do develop as they once did and the animals bones are barely able to keep them upright anymore.
The Bone Meal your dog ate is not going to do any harm.

o

It won't hurt them if it's just bonemeal. But absolutely don't use anything with cocoa meal in it. That can be harmful to them. Many dog foods and a lot of the premade raw dog foods contain bonemeal, bone dust or ground up bones. My dogs eat bones almost every day. The bonemeal for the garden is lower quality, but a tiny bit won't hurt.

BTW....Dogs are not susceptable to BSE so don't worry about that. In fact, most cows that die from "unknown causes" are rendered into dog foods.

Personally, I buy fertilizers without bonemeal or bloodmeal in them so as not to tempt the dogs to dig up my garden. I don't use any products that are not safe for the dogs to eat either, just in case.

Ania

o

How does one go about making a dog throw up? =O lol

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 1:29

I don't have dogs, but we do get raccoons, and I had to stop using fish fertilizer when the raccoons dug up everywhere I used it, trying to find the fish.

o

To jersey girl one method of making a dog throw up is to put hydrogen peroxide in water that was recommended to me by the vet after a dog got into some rat poison

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 21:12

Well - at least we know there's no chance the dog will contract BER.

Al

o

Yes, hydrogen peroxide (I mix with milk) will make a dog puke within a few mins.

I do give my dogs raw bones that I buy from kroger's meat market so I'm not worried about just the bone part. I just wanted to be safe not knowing if cocoa was in there or not.

o

Better safe than sorry. Cocoa is very toxic to dogs so it was smart to induce vomiting if you were not sure.

I had to do the same once when one of my dogs ate a plate full of onions (also toxic to dogs).

Ania

o

I was disappointed to find out that bone meal was poisonous to pets. please read the article from the following link.

www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/bone-meal/‎

o

mmm! poisonous hey? did the dogs get sick 'aussietrio'?

ours eat chook poop, kangaroo poop, they've eaten chook poop fertiliser, none ever got sick.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

Bone meal is used in the garden for Phosphorus, not Nitrogen as is implied in the linked article. There is available Blood and Bone Meal which may be what the people writing the article are referring to which would be poisonous to any animal.
There is also dietary bone meal which would be a better choice if one wants to feed that to their pet, but if the bone meal in the garden is properly mixed in to the soil the dog would have a larger problem from the soil then the bone meal.
I wonder why someone dug up this 4 and a half year old post to put this misinformation out.

o

British epidemiologists at one time thought that two of their "mad cow" human victims likely got the disease from handling steamed bone meal, as they were both avid gardeners who used it and had no other obvious source of the prion.

I wonder if that is still the theory.

o

Bone meal is harmful to eat in large amounts because it can form obstructions in the stomach/intestines.

-edit- This was actually taken care of from the link posted before http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/bone-meal/

Also, on the N content of bone meal...if it's steamed it's nearly bare of N (though some claim values of 2-3 N (NPK)). If it's dried/crushed it can contain a 4-5 N (NPK) value of N. That said, almost all commercial bone meal is steamed and personally I'd ignore it's N content given it's lack of quick availability anyway.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 20:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here