Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aussietrio

dog ate bone meal

aussietrio
14 years ago

My 40 lb dog just ate a few tablespoons (guestimating) of Bone Meal (Espoma). I have been searching online and can't find the ingredients or if it is toxic to dogs or not. If it is just ground up, processed bone then I won't worry, but I just want to make sure there's no cocoa or anything like that in there. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• greenmulberry
    14 years ago

Their web site says it is "100% pure, no additives or fillers", so I personally, wouldn't worry about it. Bone meal is an ingredient in some versions of homemade dog food, although a food grade version is used, but a few tablespoons of 100% bonemeal won't harm him.

who knows, maybe he needed the minerals?

Here is a link that might be useful: espoma products

• aussietrio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I looked at a lot of the other espoma product info and all of them have cocoa meal. I'm guessing this is why my dogs keep trying to get at it. Every time I plant something new with bone meal, they follow behind me and try to dig it up.

Anyway, just to be safe, I made her throw it up.

• marymd7
    14 years ago

Your dog keeps trying to get it because it's bone meal -- not because of cocoa meal. News flash, dogs also like blood meal and aren't above a good roll in fish emulsion either. None of this in moderation will hurt dogs. Dogs like bones. Dogs like stinky stuff. Dogs are dogs.

• ckbozeman
    14 years ago

Funny you mention this.
    I sprinkled bone meal on top of my potted roses a couple of weeks ago. My 2 heathens (I don't mean that; I love them more than anything!) knocked over both pots and ate all the bonemeal and a good bit of dirt. Note to self, lesson learned!

PS - My kiddos never showed any signs of illenss.

• ania_ca
    14 years ago

It won't hurt them if it's just bonemeal. But absolutely don't use anything with cocoa meal in it. That can be harmful to them. Many dog foods and a lot of the premade raw dog foods contain bonemeal, bone dust or ground up bones. My dogs eat bones almost every day. The bonemeal for the garden is lower quality, but a tiny bit won't hurt.

BTW....Dogs are not susceptable to BSE so don't worry about that. In fact, most cows that die from "unknown causes" are rendered into dog foods.

Personally, I buy fertilizers without bonemeal or bloodmeal in them so as not to tempt the dogs to dig up my garden. I don't use any products that are not safe for the dogs to eat either, just in case.

Ania

• jerseygardengirl
    14 years ago

How does one go about making a dog throw up? =O lol

• jnfr
    14 years ago

I don't have dogs, but we do get raccoons, and I had to stop using fish fertilizer when the raccoons dug up everywhere I used it, trying to find the fish.

• jonas302
    14 years ago

To jersey girl one method of making a dog throw up is to put hydrogen peroxide in water that was recommended to me by the vet after a dog got into some rat poison

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Well - at least we know there's no chance the dog will contract BER.

Al

• aussietrio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, hydrogen peroxide (I mix with milk) will make a dog puke within a few mins.

I do give my dogs raw bones that I buy from kroger's meat market so I'm not worried about just the bone part. I just wanted to be safe not knowing if cocoa was in there or not.

• ania_ca
    14 years ago

Better safe than sorry. Cocoa is very toxic to dogs so it was smart to induce vomiting if you were not sure.

I had to do the same once when one of my dogs ate a plate full of onions (also toxic to dogs).

Ania

• scoobe
    10 years ago

I was disappointed to find out that bone meal was poisonous to pets. please read the article from the following link.

www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/bone-meal/âÂÂ

• gardenlen
    10 years ago

mmm! poisonous hey? did the dogs get sick 'aussietrio'?

ours eat chook poop, kangaroo poop, they've eaten chook poop fertiliser, none ever got sick.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Bone meal is used in the garden for Phosphorus, not Nitrogen as is implied in the linked article. There is available Blood and Bone Meal which may be what the people writing the article are referring to which would be poisonous to any animal.
    There is also dietary bone meal which would be a better choice if one wants to feed that to their pet, but if the bone meal in the garden is properly mixed in to the soil the dog would have a larger problem from the soil then the bone meal.
    I wonder why someone dug up this 4 and a half year old post to put this misinformation out.

• gonebananas_gw
    10 years ago

British epidemiologists at one time thought that two of their "mad cow" human victims likely got the disease from handling steamed bone meal, as they were both avid gardeners who used it and had no other obvious source of the prion.

I wonder if that is still the theory.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Bone meal is harmful to eat in large amounts because it can form obstructions in the stomach/intestines.

-edit- This was actually taken care of from the link posted before http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/bone-meal/

Also, on the N content of bone meal...if it's steamed it's nearly bare of N (though some claim values of 2-3 N (NPK)). If it's dried/crushed it can contain a 4-5 N (NPK) value of N. That said, almost all commercial bone meal is steamed and personally I'd ignore it's N content given it's lack of quick availability anyway.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 20:15

• Miss.EveW
    9 years ago

ok, 85% of your bone is phosphates. phosphates include, mono, bi, tri and sodium. bone meal is finely crushed bone. but in its condensed form it is toxic. trisodium phosphate is TSP and is a very toxic cleaning product. but trisodium phosphate can also be found in food products like cereal. so it is found everywhere and sometimes it is toxic, like in fertilizer and cleaners. But it is a popular supplement for athletes as well. Back to Bone Meal as a fertilizer, keep away from pets. if they digest any, take him to vet if he shows signs of ill effects.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Yes, take him to the vet five years after the fact.