Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Japanese Beetle Trap

Posted by sheri St. Louis/zn 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 22:26

With the season just starting here in the midwest, I thought I'd share a homemade Japanese Beetle trap that works wonderfully well and is made out of items from your recycle bin.

Check out the tutorial for how to make one here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Japanese Beetle Trap

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 3:07

Sheri

A simpler trap version is to just knock the beetles into a container of soapy water. :-)

My gorgeous Fortex bean patch is being chewed on by Japanese beetles so I go out each morning and afternoon and grab my styrofoam cup that I leave in the garden. I roam the aisles and can see them on the leaves, usually in twos and threes. You have to put the container UNDER the beetles as you approach them since they'll fall downward through the leaves when disturbed unless they just fly away. But they seem to be so involved in their twosome or threesome that they'll hang onto each other and meet their watery grave together!

This year it's Japanese beetles and almost no Mexican bean beetles. Last year it was the reverse. The yellow fuzzy critters on the leaves are Mexican bean beetle larva and you can knock those into the solution as well.

o

Another option is to go after the grubs that are living in your yard (after they breed they deposit the eggs in the ground). Some options are nematodes, milky spore, and grub control chemicals.

Its not a sure fire method, but if more people would treat the grub stage, there would be less adult stage.

Its too bad they couldn't make a trap to just lure in the females...get rid of the females and the population will fall rapidly in the years ahead.

o

That is similar to the one I make. I put a bait in the top and cut holes for them to fly in and they can't fly out. I have killed thousands in previous years. You can't knock that many in soapy water. Last year I had less than 25 and this year have only seen three.

o

I have trapped thousand in recent years. I estimated 270,000 in '03. I have killed thousands more on wild grape vines, plum top growth, and on the edge of neighboring soybean fields. Also I have hand squished and also used a bit of Milky Spore....and prayed.

This year I have seen only a very few.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here