Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tomato fertilizer?

Posted by cymraes 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 23:59

My tomatoes just don't seem to be doing very well. I have one plant with a few small tomoatoes on them, but the others just seem stuck, with no flowers or much growth. They are planted in a raised bed made from old hay, mushroom compost, composted horse manure/bedding and some top soil. I applied fish emulsion a few weeks ago, but not much change.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tomato fertilizer?

try some bonemeal [or other calcium] and epsom salt and useing a weak fish fert solution once a week - also make sure the medium they're in isn't drying out as fast as you water it, which I'd expect that mix might

Bill

o

The best tomato "fertilizer" is compost and other organic matter, lots. Tomatoes do very well in a soil well endowed with organic matter that is evenly moist but well drained and a place that gets at least 6 hours of sun each day.
A good, reliable soil test will tell you whether your soil has optimum nutrient levels. Contact your local office of your states USDA Cooperative Extension Service about that.

o

Everything has been slow to start for me this year because of cool weather. I hope it's not as bad as last year- I had incredible production, but ripening was slow and many peppers never fully ripened.

It could just need a little time. It sounds like you have a ton of organic matter in there. Don't overfertilize or you'll end up with barren tomato trees.

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 14:13

Last year for the first time our tomatoes had no blossom end rot. That, I believe, is because we followed the advice of a tomato-growing aficionado who said, fertilize the soil with compost the year before you plant the tomatoes, and not at all in the year they're growing, except a shot of something at transplanting time. Rich soil spoils tomatoes. Give them tough love. Also keep the soil evenly moist, and covered with mulch. No BER, and very little splitting.

Your soil sounds more than rich enough. Are the leaves yellowing at all? And it's been a very cold spring here too. Could be the weather is slowing them down as pablo says.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here