Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cover crops for Zone 9

Posted by NickRose Z9 San Mateo, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 0:02

This will be my first year using cover crops and some help. I live in zone 9 San Mateo,CA and we have some mild winters. Except for last year. We had a month or more of night time temps in the 20's and 30's.

Anyway my corn is done and I will be pulling it out and chopping it up for either compost or putting it back into the dirt where it grew. I already have buckwheat and crimson clover. Is there any grasses that I can use that don't need herbicide to kill and that can be killed without tilling it in? I was thinking of annual rye but it seems like you either have to use roundup or tilling it in to kill it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cover crops for Zone 9

Annual Ryegrass is sometimes used and recommended as a cover/green manure crop but many of us think it is a "weed", an unwanted plant, because of its ability to self seed.
I would stick with Buckwheat, Cereal or Winter, or Field Rye, Wheat, Oats, the grains and stay away from the grasses.

o

With the ones that you mentioned, Cereal Rye, Wheat, Oats are they easy to kill with out herbicide? Would just mowing them kill them? I would be planting my corn in March or April, so I would need to kill the cover crop at least in February.

o

I have not experienced any regrowth in cover crops after mowing them, or tilling them in, although others have reported problems. The Rodale Institute developed a crimper to knock down cover crops and leave them in place as mulch and I have seen nothing to indicate those plants grew back after being flattened.
When using Rye, Wheat, Oat, or sometimes hay as mulch I have observed new growth from the seeds that do not always get reaped and this may be what some of those that have had problems have seen, not regrowth from the old plants but new growth from seeds.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:51

The most productive cover for zone 9 has always been and will always be fava. You will have to scythe them down in spring.

o

Since this is my first time with cover crops during the fall/winter I will try small patches of Rye and Fava.

Do both of these have to be flowering in order to kill them by mowing? I will plant them in August, so I have no idea when they will flower in Zone 9.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here