Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lasagna garden in raised bed

Posted by shlansberg CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 0:24

Hi, I've had a vegetable garden before, but, I am going to plant my first "raised bed" organic veggie garden.

My question is: If you do "lasagna gardening" (layering with newspapers, green and brown materials, top soil, etc.) do I need a composter?

Does the "lasagna garden" method actually become a composter on its own?

Please help. People say you can throw newspaper, and then anything you would throw into a composter (kitchen scraps, etc) and then more newspaper, etc and it will decompose on its own.

Will it smell?
How long does it take to decompose?
Am I better off with a composter?

Confused.... Would LOVE any and all advice.

By the way, I started my seeds indoors. Organic seeds. Evertying is sprouted and ready to go in a bed. My raised bed is made of cedar and redwood -- no treated wood.

Thanks!!! Stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lasagna garden in raised bed

A lasagna bed starts as a "raised" bed but as the organic matter in the pile is digested the height shrinks, so in a raised bed you will want some soil to add that organic matter to. Whether there is any offensive odor depends on what you add to the mix and that will also determine how long it takes to be digested.
Perhaps this from Pat Lanza will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna Gardening 101

o

Kimmsr - When you say that soil should be added to the organic matter, do you mean that it should all be mixed/layered together at the start of the lasagna.... or is there a different way that is better. Perhaps adding the soil to the bottom, or the top.
Thanks!

o

g'day stephanie,

we invite you to take a look at our presentation of raised beds, it may go some way to giving more ideas?

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden

o

Thanks everyone! I'll be looking at the links :-)

o

If you are building a Lasagna Bed that is one thing but if you are building raised beds that is another. If you want the soil level in a raised bed to stay kind of close to the top of what level you established then soil is necessary. If totally rebuilding your Lasagna Bed annually, and watching the level shrink during the growing season is not a problem then a Lasagna Bed is the way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here