Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Harlequin Bug

Posted by nailah z6MO (nailah_h@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 2:02

I have Collar Greens infested with those pesty Harlequin Bug. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them without using chemical? I am in a organic community garden and unsure what to do at this point. I don't want my tomatoes nor pole beans to be infected with this little ugly bugs. It would be very difficult for me to smash each but individually as was recommended by someone else. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO TO RID THEM?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Harlequin Bug

Destroy any eggs you can find and hand pick the adults, dropping them into a bucket of soapy water. Insecticides are generally not very effective against these wee buggers, and do more harm to their predators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlequin Bugs

o

I tried this and then confirmed it from another website: Spray them with a mixture of water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. You have to drench them directly so you might have to come back for another treatment, but it does killed them (by suffocation?). Labor intensive but not as bad as hand picking them off of the plant.

o

Dawn dishwashing "soap" is not an acceptable organic product. It is made from petro chemicals and is a detergent. An Insecticidal Soap made from Fels Naptha, Ivory, or a castile or other type of soap made by reacting animal fats with lye would be acceptable.

o

As Kimmsr said, they can easily be killed by dropping in soapy water. I also find that they're very slow, and if you go around with a wide mouth jar of soapy water, and hold it under the plant, you can shake and/or brush loads of them into it -- much faster than picking them off individually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here