Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really short bean plants blooming

Posted by Mindyw3 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 2:49

Should I pinch them off or let them be? My worry is thee plants aare so small and I don't think I will get much if they starting producing at now. THe box is 12 inches high if that gives an idea of how tall the bean plants are:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really short bean plants blooming

I wouldn't pinch them. What type of beans did you plant? Are they bush or pole beans?
I am growing Kentucky Wonder and Scarlett Runner pole beans as well as Roma and Tendergreen bush beans.
I would guess that you have planted a bush bean variety and they look healthy!

o

Pinching off the blooms is for PERRENIAL plants. I don't think I would pinch off blossoms on any annuals like beans or other garden things.

o

nanagarden - they are bush, french filet. And thanks!!

rockguy - the reason I asked is that,a nd bear with me I'ma newbie, I wonder if letting them produce now will stunt their growth and decrease teh overall harvest, so that is why i was questioning if I should let it prodce now or pinch them off until the plants are larger. Does that make sense?

o

don't pinch

blooms will produce beans even if not much & can get a 2nd crop of beans from them after you pick 1st (even though bush don't crop as much as pole beans, seems like I can still pick for a few weeks or more

Try not to disturb them when in flower or it can fall off, then no beans for sure.

usually beans don't require much for fertilizer, so the problem might be your soil, so you can't really fix that this year

Maybe you can plant more beans in another space you have & those will take off. More compost might correct your problem if you just top off the beds with it. I'm not familiar with your soil mix you mentioned in another post.

I don't know your climate specifics for gardening, but bush beans are fast to harvest & count back from your 1st frost - days germination to harvest, so add a bit for germination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here