Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting

Posted by klavier Z7 Baltimore (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 6:54

Hello,
Is this the correct forum for composting questions? I am looking to get a hot composting system going and was wondering if anyone knew how big of piles I should make, how often to turn, etc. I have 3 tons of fruit waste per hour that I need to compost.
Cheers,
Werner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting

This can be a good slource of composting information.
To achieve a hot compost pile you need a mix of materials that maintains a Carbon To Nitrogen, C:N, ratio of about 30 to 1, enough moisture, and enough air to keep the thermophilic bacteria happy and working. Particle size can also influence how fast digestion happens and volume of material is important.
This link tells about making compost in 14 days, http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/recycle/facts/compost.htm
and the link below to a composting tutorial are both good sources of informaiton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Tutorial

o
RE: Composting

There is a soil and compost forum, if you'd like to check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here