Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can soybean meal be made into a tea?

Posted by gram999 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 8:36

I recently made alfalfa tea after reading on this forum, but can you make soybean meal tea? I've searched & searched & can't find anything on it.

I bought soybean meal for our lawn & am also hoping that it helps 2 maple trees that have sparse leaves & branches dying. A week ago, I "threw" alfalfa pellets from the trunks to the canopies. I probably should put this on the tree forum. I can't afford an arborist. I thought about planting 2 new maples behing them in case they die. They are 26 yrs. old. I don't see anything wrong with the bark or insect damage. If it helps, we're in the Kansas City area. I've read SBM is better than alfalfa, so I was hoping to make a tea so it would work faster.

Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can soybean meal be made into a tea?

Aren't all soybeans in the US now GMO's? I'm under the understanding that they are but I really don't know for sure so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Greg
Nevada

o

o

Thanks, but I was wondering if soybean meal could be made into a tea like alfalfa tea and used for plants.

o

I suppose the best way would be to make some and try it on one plant to see what happens.
RE the GMO the DNA may have been altered but even the altered parts are organic so it will break down in the soil like anything else but just to be safe I would use it on the soil and not the foliage.

o

Thanks a lot, hoodat. I usually find answers to my questions here by searching. I don't remember asking for help before.

I've been making alfalfa tea in 5 gal buckets. The next time I need some, I'll try 1/2 alfalfa & half SBM & see what happens. My plan is to use it as a soil drench around the trees.

o

Not if you filter it. The protein particles have to be decomposed by soil bacteria for the nutrition to be made available to plants. A slurry is fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here