Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cheap way of compost

Posted by coldwheathercrop 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 9:44

hi, i would seriously like to compost, but i dont neceesarily have the space or money to do it the "right way". i was thinking about composting in a pringles can, but im not too sure it would work. any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cheap way of compost

Consider vermicomposting. A plastic bucket, a drill for holes, some shredded news paper and food scraps -- and oh yeah, some worms! -- will get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermicomposting Forum

o

Bokashi can be done in small spaces.
You need lots more mass than a can's worth to aerobically compost.

o

No one with even a tiny bit of knowledge about composting would seriously consider, much less inquire, about composting in a "Pringles" can or any other such container.
Composting can be done very inexpesively because there is really no need for any kind of containment system, simply piling up the material to be compost in a roughtly 4 x 4 x 4 pile (that is feet and not inches). Once living organic matter, ie. vegetative material, placed in a "Pringles" can would, eventually become rotted vegetative waste and would most likely smell like rooted vegetative waste because there simly is not enough volume for the thermophilic bacteria to work on it, there would not be sufficient air to keep those thermophilic bacteria alive, and it is probable that the moisture in the vegetative waste put in that can would be too much any way since you would not be able to easily balance the C:N ratio.
If you are serious about composting spend some time at this web site

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Composting tutorial

o

Your going to want to look into vermicomposting it is easy and can be accomplished on almost any scale traditional compost just wouldn't work in that small of space although people do it in a garbage can if you have space for that as pointed out there is a vermicompost forum here if you needed some worms I could spare a few from my bin but you could probably pick up a tub at a bait shop or walmart fishing section pretty easy

If anybody has a problem with people asking questions they can keep there big mouths shut or turn off the computer and go do some composting

o

ok, thank you very much kimmsr and jonas302. i let ya know if my composting works (or even starts)

o

coldwheathercrop, you can accelerate the composting process if you roll the Pringles can around the yard every few days.

o

Sounds almost like another poster on 2 other boards I frequent! Must be getting tired of NOT getting responses to silly questions on those boards!

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 19:03

Don't forget to drill holes in the container, compost needs air.

;-)

Lloyd

o

Pringles cans work great for composting, until they catch on fire.....

o

ok, all i got from that was something about marijuana? well, anyways after doing a little research, i'm just gonna start a compost pile but if anyone can let me know if i absolutely NEED a compost thermometer let me know

o

You absolutely don't NEED a compost thermometer. I've never even seen one!
Despite what you read, composting happens whether you want it to or not.
Don't get hung up on ratios and what have you: if it starts to smell because you added tons of grass clippings, fish heads or whatever, just fork in some torn up newspaper, straw, or whatever.
The only thing I think is non-negotiable is enough water ('enough' as in not soggy, but damp all the way through).
Turn it/don't turn it, build a bin/leave it in a heap...
Doesn't matter. You'll end up with compost.
Be warned, I'm in a different hemisphere; you might have a frozen pile in winter. Doesn't matter, it'll defrost in spring!
Piles are fun...!

o

I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles was a laid-back company. They said **** it. Cut 'em up! We can play tennis later."
Mitch Hedberg

o

Composting in Pringles cans? Brilliant! Make sure you have two or three so you accelerate the process by turning it over from one can to the other. Don't use a pitch fork for this, use a salad fork instead.

o

randy and tcstoehr...thanks for the laugh! Too funny.

o

To save trouble rotating your pringles compost bin, tie a catnip mouse on one end and let your cat do the work.

o

Haiku to you too! [well, sort of]

In all sincerity
He ask about composting
In a Pringles can

And tuff ole 'posters
Chewed him up and spit him out
Poor little lurker

The advice he got?
Turn with salad fork
Drill holes, 'post needs air
Roly-poly piles are fun!
Let cat do the work
Bokashi! Gesundheit!
Watch for fire in Pringlepost

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here