Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coldwheathercrop

cheap way of compost

coldwheathercrop
13 years ago

hi, i would seriously like to compost, but i dont neceesarily have the space or money to do it the "right way". i was thinking about composting in a pringles can, but im not too sure it would work. any ideas?

Comments (16)

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

Consider vermicomposting. A plastic bucket, a drill for holes, some shredded news paper and food scraps -- and oh yeah, some worms! -- will get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermicomposting Forum

• pippimac
    13 years ago

Bokashi can be done in small spaces.
    You need lots more mass than a can's worth to aerobically compost.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

No one with even a tiny bit of knowledge about composting would seriously consider, much less inquire, about composting in a "Pringles" can or any other such container.
    Composting can be done very inexpesively because there is really no need for any kind of containment system, simply piling up the material to be compost in a roughtly 4 x 4 x 4 pile (that is feet and not inches). Once living organic matter, ie. vegetative material, placed in a "Pringles" can would, eventually become rotted vegetative waste and would most likely smell like rooted vegetative waste because there simly is not enough volume for the thermophilic bacteria to work on it, there would not be sufficient air to keep those thermophilic bacteria alive, and it is probable that the moisture in the vegetative waste put in that can would be too much any way since you would not be able to easily balance the C:N ratio.
    If you are serious about composting spend some time at this web site

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Composting tutorial

• jonas302
    13 years ago

Your going to want to look into vermicomposting it is easy and can be accomplished on almost any scale traditional compost just wouldn't work in that small of space although people do it in a garbage can if you have space for that as pointed out there is a vermicompost forum here if you needed some worms I could spare a few from my bin but you could probably pick up a tub at a bait shop or walmart fishing section pretty easy

If anybody has a problem with people asking questions they can keep there big mouths shut or turn off the computer and go do some composting

• coldwheathercrop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, thank you very much kimmsr and jonas302. i let ya know if my composting works (or even starts)

• annpat
    13 years ago

coldwheathercrop, you can accelerate the composting process if you roll the Pringles can around the yard every few days.

• ga_karen
    13 years ago

Sounds almost like another poster on 2 other boards I frequent! Must be getting tired of NOT getting responses to silly questions on those boards!

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

Don't forget to drill holes in the container, compost needs air.

;-)

Lloyd

• melonhedd
    13 years ago

Pringles cans work great for composting, until they catch on fire.....

• coldwheathercrop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, all i got from that was something about marijuana? well, anyways after doing a little research, i'm just gonna start a compost pile but if anyone can let me know if i absolutely NEED a compost thermometer let me know

• pippimac
    13 years ago

You absolutely don't NEED a compost thermometer. I've never even seen one!
    Despite what you read, composting happens whether you want it to or not.
    Don't get hung up on ratios and what have you: if it starts to smell because you added tons of grass clippings, fish heads or whatever, just fork in some torn up newspaper, straw, or whatever.
    The only thing I think is non-negotiable is enough water ('enough' as in not soggy, but damp all the way through).
    Turn it/don't turn it, build a bin/leave it in a heap...
    Doesn't matter. You'll end up with compost.
    Be warned, I'm in a different hemisphere; you might have a frozen pile in winter. Doesn't matter, it'll defrost in spring!
    Piles are fun...!

• randy41_1
    13 years ago

I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles was a laid-back company. They said **** it. Cut 'em up! We can play tennis later."
    Mitch Hedberg

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

Composting in Pringles cans? Brilliant! Make sure you have two or three so you accelerate the process by turning it over from one can to the other. Don't use a pitch fork for this, use a salad fork instead.

• anitamo
    13 years ago

randy and tcstoehr...thanks for the laugh! Too funny.

• hoodat
    13 years ago

To save trouble rotating your pringles compost bin, tie a catnip mouse on one end and let your cat do the work.

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

Haiku to you too! [well, sort of]

In all sincerity
    He ask about composting
    In a Pringles can

And tuff ole 'posters
    Chewed him up and spit him out
    Poor little lurker

The advice he got?
    Turn with salad fork
    Drill holes, 'post needs air