Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cabbages and brussel sprouts, do you rip out?

Posted by kelisk8s 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 10:09

I am just learning about spring/fall plantings... I put out my spring plantings of bok choi, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and broccoli too late. The bok choi went to seed and I collected those. The broccoli is about to flower, but the brussel sprouts and cabbage look pretty good. Should I rip these last two out? How can you tell when cabbage and brussel sprouts bolt? I know I have a short growing season so I'm trying to make the most of the time I have. I plan on starting some transplants of these in the next couple days to replace what I've ripped out. Any ideas? Feedback appreciated!!!
Kelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cabbages and brussel sprouts, do you rip out?

If you cut the head of a cabbage off, bu leave the rest of the plant undisturbed it will form new heads although they will be much smaller. The part of Broccoli that we harvest are the flowers, so if you keep them cut they should continue producing although those too will be smaller and smaller. I have heard that you can cut Brussels Sprouts down and allow them to regrow also although I have not tried that.
These are really cool weather crops so you may want to pull them out and plant somethign more suitable for this hot weather and follow up later with a fall crop of these.

o
RE: cabbages and brussel sprouts, do you rip out?

I think it would be a good idea to try this question over on the Vegetable Forum where there are people who will know your conditions. I am very dubious about cutting down the Brussels sprouts because in my climate they have a very long growing season. Sow in March, plant out May/June and harvest Oct - February depending on variety. So I really doubt you can start from scratch now and get Brussels sprouts before the winter. I have never heard of cutting them down and can see no reason for it. You say the cabbage and sprouts look pretty good so why would you want to get rid of them? You'd be putting them back by months. They are biennials and if they survive the winter they will bolt next spring. You can tell they've bolted because they will have large bunches of yellow flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here