Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

I need a butterfly friendly fungicide for my zinnias

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

I have a very large bed of zinnias (160+ plants) that I'm growing to attract butterflies and last year, many of them got brown crispy lower leaves. This year, I've only seen a couple brown leaves so far so I'm hoping there's still something I can do to prevent it that will not kill or repel butterflies. They're not blooming yet but almost, within the next couple days. I have lots of buds.

I've never had a mildew problem. This is something else. I'm pretty sure some kind of fungus, but possibly just nutritional.

My mistakes so far - I planted them in the same spot as last year, didn't clean up old plants very well, and I've been watering them overhead, almost every morning because they're small and we've had triple digit temps.

Someone in another forum mention powdered cinnamon for zinnias, but not sure if they meant for mildew or other diseases.

Whatever my zinnias had last year didn't kill them. They just looked terrible and of course didn't bloom as well as they should've so I don't think I need complete control.

Comments (10)

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

Your soil looks like it needs a ton of help. No soil should be bare like yours. You need organic mulch which will feed the soil and make it thrive with biological activity. This alone could help your plants better fend off the fungus, your plant's health is directly related to your soil's health, and your soil's health right now is severely lacking.

Bandaid solutions like fungicide should be put off until you have a functional soil system.

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

And yes, you're right, it might not even be fungus.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

The person that suggested the cinnamon probably assumed you had Powdery Mildew, a common problem with Zinnias. If your plants have a light, whitish, hazy substance on the leaves they may well have Powdery Mildew. Other methods of control include a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water or mizxing 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda in 1 quart of water and spraying those on the plants, preferrably early in the day before the butterflies start to flit arouns.
    While your soil does need attention PM on Zinnias can happen even on plants growing in a good, healthy soil although will less trouble.

• gribbleton
    11 years ago

You should have a constant layer of organic mulch on your soil, without it your soil is suffering

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Powdery mildew seldom develops into brown, crispy foliage. Without seeing to confirm, I'd speculate the issue may be rust - likely one of the most difficult fungal diseases to control. It does not respond well to most fungicides, whether natural/organic or more chemically heavy duty.

If that is what the issue is, your best solution is to try to avoid the problem to begin with. A lot of modern hybrid zinnias tend to be resistant. And make sure you do a thorough clean-up this fall. Rotating your planting or plant in another area. Avoid any overhead watering. FWIW, gribble has th right idea - an organic mulch is an excellent thing to add to any planting area and especially one prone to disease issues. In most cases they will smother fungal spores or otherwise discourage their growth if not generating beneficial microorganisms that will devour any pathogens outright.

• terrene
    11 years ago

My Zinnias got those crispy leaves at the bottom last year, but the plants were so tall and bushy that you couldn't even see the bottom of the plants, and also I had Melampodium planted in front, so it wasn't noticeable.

I do plant the tall Zinnias in a new spot every year. The one year I didn't, they got terrible powdery mildew (could be a coincidence, or maybe not!).

Mulches are wonderful, except that I don't mulch areas where seeds are sowed or seedlings are planted until the plants get about 1 foot tall or so. Slugs are probably the number one hazard to my seedlings - and the mulch encourages the slugs.

• caryandkay
    7 years ago

I would like to hear the about the butterfly friendly fungicide. My tall Zinnias' do have the fungus problem. Not as much as last year though. My soil is organic (mainly composted cow manure with some blood meal mixed) and organic mulch. I read that they don't like to be wet or they can get the fungus. It's hard for me to prevent it because they are in my front yard where my sprinkler system saturates them while watering the yard. It's better this year because I set the sprinklers to go off at 9 AM so that the sun can immediately dry them. This has helped but still have some fungus. Do you have a home remedy or butterfly friendly fungicide?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

What kind of fungus?? It DOES make difference :-)

If just powdery mildew, there are various home remedies that will stop the spread of the disease and not bother butterflies, pollinators or any other beneficials. Milk spray, bicarbonate of soda or Neem oil will all work.

btw, powdery mildew is NOT caused by water on the foliage. In fact, water will often wash off the PM spores. PM is usually caused by excess humidity and a differential between that and soil moisture (deficient). With warm summer temperatures, that offers an ideal breeding ground for the pathogen. It is also encouraged by insufficient air circulation or crowding and not enough sunlight.

• dlawton33
    7 years ago

Looks like alternaria, which is a fungus. I have about 100 zinneas in a bed with three rows. When the plants start getting tall, I pull off the bottom leaves so air can circulate better. You should also remove infected leaves so it doesn't spread as fast. I spray Serenade as a preventative. It works well for powdery mildew. Maybe it slows down the alternaria but it isn't curing it.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths