Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - mystery bug on turnips and radishes?

Posted by secondspring none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 12:15

Hey everyone,

So we pulled off a row of insect cover today and found that something's decimated our radishes and turnips. I've never seen this bug before, but it was all over the leaves of most of our plants (they were literally covered), and they appeared to be present both as tiny black flies as well as what I would assume to be their larvae form, which looks like a tiny white egg--almost like an aphid.

I've attached a couple photos of the flies, which as you can see were covering the inside of the row cover as well. Hopefully it's visible in the picture, but in case its hard to make out, they're quite small (see my fingertip for size comparison) and they have long wings that point back behind them.

We have multiple rows of turnips, radishes, lettuce, and various brassicaes in this same area, so I'd like to figure out what we're dealing with and try to do something about it ASAP. The crazy thing is that they somehow managed to get inside our insect netting. Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - mystery bug on turnips and radishes?

Aphids.

o

Really? I've had aphids on other plants in the past and never seen them develop into these black flies. Running a Google image search for aphids also doesn't turn up anything like my image above. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just want to be 100% sure about what we have before I treat for it.

o

Yes, really. There are many species of aphid and many are black. They go through various phases - winged and wingless. Some are even commonly called 'blackfly'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black aphids winged and wingless stages

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 16:51

There is actually a turnip aphid...boo, hiss...

Check the link below. Yours look like they are in the mature stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turnip aphid

o

Regarding 'treatment'. First line of defence is regular hard blasts with plain water from the hose . Aphids are weak creatures and most will never find their way back onto the plants once washed off. Also, unless, or even if, you intend to eat the greens a bit of distorted foliage isn't a big problem.

o

Aphids, at this time of year, produce live young not eggs. That happens in the fall when winter is setting in. Aphids come in many colors ranging from green to black to orange and all the hues in between.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Aphids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here