Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green manure

Posted by wolverine1012 6 SW OH (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 12:52

Today I tilled the half of our garden which had all been harvested. We planted alfalfa and will turn it in before fall. I'd like to just leave it until spring but I'm afraid it will hold the moisture and I won't be able to till early enough for spring planting.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green manure

I did, years ago, plant Winter Rye as a winter cover crop (aka green manure) and tilled it in in the spring and I know many others that still do. You can till in the spring when the soil is workable, but that also needs to be several weeks before you plant.

o

I would think that alfalfa might not make much mass by fall.

I will plant some daikons [tillage radishes] soon. They make some top bulk, but especially makes a deep root which makes a good bulk in the soil and they winter kill [in the north] and do not delay spring planting.

o

Well, with all the hot weather and then the rain that we got, the alfalfa is beginning to sprout. If it grows as quickly as it sprouts, I should have a nice biomass to till in come fall.

o

I have been doing the planting of alfalfa and buckwheat for the last two years, and I will plant late in August, so that the plantings are well established before the frost kills it off. And about March, I turn it over in each row. The soil is pretty workable at that time, and I only use my hoe on my 100' x 35' garden. I should add that in the Spring, I have been putting in about 20' of buckwheat, which I will let grow to seed. I cut off the tops of the plants when the seeds are ready. Then I'm providing enough seed for the Fall plantings. I have liked the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here